MTB bottom bracket and chainset problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a Trek 4500 MTB from about 2003 that I've been servicing to use as a commuter bike. Changed all the cables, brake blocks and chain. Chainset was bent so bought a SHIMANO FC TY501 Square 6/7/8 Speed Chainset and replaced the original 73/113 square taper bottom bracket with a new Shimano UN55 73/113.
When I fitted the chainset to the BB, the chainset fouled the BB shell - turned out to be 4 protrusions on the inside face of the chainset, presumably designed to stop the chain falling between chainset and BB shell and jamming. So I flattened them with a hammer :blink: and all is well.
Except.... the chainset now sits so far inboard that I can't get the (new) derailleur to go far enough in to stop the chain rubbing on the inner plate of the mech when in low/low gear. Seems that the BB spindle isn't long enough?
So - is it that the chainset isn't designed for use on a MTB? (turns out to be a "trekking" chainset) or is there some difference in the BB despite the measurements being the same as the one I took off? (I've checked the existing and it has the same 73/113 marked on it).
Do I need a new BB - 73/122.5 maybe - or do I replace the chainset with a MTB specific one?
Many thanks for any help!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome to the forum John.

When you say it’s so far inboard the chain rubs on the inner plate of the derailleur I presume you mean the front one? Have you tried adjusting the hi=lo screws or are they at their limit? If they are you do need a longer spindle bb.

C R

Guru
I have a Trek 4500 MTB from about 2003 that I've been servicing to use as a commuter bike. Changed all the cables, brake blocks and chain. Chainset was bent so bought a SHIMANO FC TY501 Square 6/7/8 Speed Chainset and replaced the original 73/113 square taper bottom bracket with a new Shimano UN55 73/113.
When I fitted the chainset to the BB, the chainset fouled the BB shell - turned out to be 4 protrusions on the inside face of the chainset, presumably designed to stop the chain falling between chainset and BB shell and jamming. So I flattened them with a hammer :blink: and all is well.
Except.... the chainset now sits so far inboard that I can't get the (new) derailleur to go far enough in to stop the chain rubbing on the inner plate of the mech when in low/low gear. Seems that the BB spindle isn't long enough?
So - is it that the chainset isn't designed for use on a MTB? (turns out to be a "trekking" chainset) or is there some difference in the BB despite the measurements being the same as the one I took off? (I've checked the existing and it has the same 73/113 marked on it).
Do I need a new BB - 73/122.5 maybe - or do I replace the chainset with a MTB specific one?
Many thanks for any help!
The chainset spec will tell you which bb spindle width you need. In this particular case you need a bb with a 122.5 spindle.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Top Bottom