MTB Front Cantilever Brake Hanger Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbine

I'm changing the quill stem on my old British Eagle MTB. Unfortunately the front brakes use a hole in the old quill stem as the hanger and the new Nitto MT-10 stem doesn't have a hole. So I need to fit another hanger somewhere else. Looks like it might be easy to fit one under the headset nut, but the new hangers (Dia Compe) have a small tab at the back of the hole - presumably to stop the hanger turning. The headset is Shimano (Deore I think).

My questions are -

As my bike never had a hanger mounted under the headset nut, will there be a groove for the tab to locate into?

Will this type of hanger with groove even fit under the headset nut if there is a tab?

Should I look to mount a hanger somewhere else?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113893612076?hash=item1a84969a2c:g:BxcAAOSwEMtjPggr&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAsFEKD4kxUOHE+XBXWd0YshO0JtJTaUCyDeNPhCGiM2qjyedIbnTSDUTZUEKumzIl1THhQBnQYi7zCdruglBEof/cMR24+bq3t3QZPbbNT0p6tsKvgIshp1srwoayYE07KBu0Yus78rF5azs5HDq5KIz2fwz831psAVYZUYrAkhWBOjrIjY1jWoQyPTBDzhJaUYGw2KhPyRnZS1gOUEMWPnDBBi8otuiJVpXEiYZJol3w|tkp:Bk9SR4TntZGXYQ

DSC01313.JPG

1669553403134.png

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You may need to grind off the tab. You are likely to have to remove the existing washer and replace with the hanger one due to the headset stack height as it may not thread on as much as before due to the extra 'spacer'.

OP
OP
woodbine

woodbine

You may need to grind off the tab. You are likely to have to remove the existing washer and replace with the hanger one due to the headset stack height as it may not thread on as much as before due to the extra 'spacer'.

Thanks for your reply. If I grind off the tab. is the hanger likely to turn, or is the tab there to cetralise the hanger during installation?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Another option seems to be a clamp type hanger. Presumably this wouldn't be suitable for my setup?

View attachment 669322

It's a possible, but would need to be on the stem above the headset. The other one won't turn once tight - might move a little tightening the headset. Not many bikes have the notch cut into the steerer thread for the tabs to sit in - you could check and undo the headset.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.

That's what I would do.
Once the locknut is tightened down the hanger shouldn't move

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I've used one of these successfully, albeit on gravel bike
1631608591593-png.png

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m7b0s101p1809/TEKTRO-Front-Uphanger-For-Cantilever-Brakes

I assume you have rigid forks?

having a shorter drop of cable is also better for eliminating fork judder etc

OP
OP
woodbine

woodbine

Why are you replacing the stem?

Replacing it because it's a bit short. As you can see by my photo the minimum insertion mark is actually a bit above the heaset top nut. The handlebar grips/ends are below the level of the saddle which is too low. Needs to be level or just above which means another 2" or 3" higher. Bars are tool low for my ageing back.

Top Bottom