MTB in winter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
Now I remember why I don't like MTB'img in winter: the cleaning up afterwards. I thought I'd take the e-mtb out for half an hour on some light trails but quickly found myself in mud.

Now I have this silly brain which says "just keep going, it's bound to get less muddy further up."

Like heck it does.

So my 30 minute ride ended up having a good old cleanup which took at least 30 minutes. Next time I'll either stick to the light trails or stick to the road: the road spray is nothing in comparison to mud.

Anyway, happy riding if you're venturing out into the mud but I will give it a miss from now on. :becool:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think you need a power washer.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I bought an mtb for winter last year. This year I am using my ebike as we have not seen winter yet. I think it has got to freezing point once. The mtb is all washed and oiled. It just need air in the tyres. Thats if winter ever arrives.

20221115_122204.jpg

figbat

Slippery scientist
It’s like the Somme around here, still going out though! A quick rinse down after each ride is what I do, with a deep clean every now and then (more then than now if I’m honest). I keep the chains clean and oiled but accept that chain and brake pad life will be limited.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I carry a water bottle on the bike in the winter - not for my consumption, but to rinse the frame and gears down, once I get to the workplace.

I then fill the bottle up and repeat the process later, when I get home.

It does help reduce the build-up of leaves and mud during the week.

The bike then gets a good clean on the weekend (if I can be bothered).

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Guru
I think you need a power washer.

With my normal non-electric MTB, the washer comes out and used liberally. But with the e-bike I'm a lot more careful with the motor and battery section. The rest of the e-bike got a nice wash but getting gunk out of the BB area was time consuming.

figbat

Slippery scientist
It's a MTB, they get mucky every use, otherwise you aren't using it. I never use a pressure washer. Quick hose off the thick mud, then brush and a sponge in soapy water.

Same here, although we are blessed with decent mains water pressupre so the multi-purpose nozzle on the hosepipe (that I can now use again) does a good job.

ChrisEyles

Guru
I often switch to trail running over winter when it's wet and muddy out.

It depends quite a bit on what your local trails are like, mine are on Mendip which suffers really badly in the wet. If I drive to South Wales to ride at Cwmcarn, the trails there drain really well and are rideable year round.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Went out the other day to Forest of Dean. Was raining, cold and extremely muddy - still had a really great ride. Carefully picking lines up and down rooty sections was every bit as much fun as blasting them in summer.

However, if the mud around there had been claggy like my local trails I suspect I'd have had to knock it on the head when my wheels physically wouldn't turn any more after a few hundred yards!

I did have to spend the best part of an hour cleaning/maintaining the bike afterwards, and my headset now sounds like it needs a clean/grease.

For me it's borderline whether it's worth going out in winter, I definitely have to be super keen on the day, otherwise a run is much less faff.

It certainly makes you appreciate the last couple of nice long dry summers riding we've had recently.

Top Bottom