MTB rack recommendations please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yellowhammer

Crankarm

Guru
I checked these Topeak Super Tourist racks out in Halfords as they have them. TBH I was intially keen but then I looked at the standard of the welding and I thought they could have done better. I looked at several and they were the same. If you wanted to use the Topeak specific cycle rack bag then you would have to get this rack for it to fit onto the rack as it has a mounting on the base of the bag which slides into the top of the rack. The other thing I wasn't too keen on as well was that the stays that attach to the drop-outs have the 90 degree angled end which initially look good but being cast or angled at 90 degs may well break under continuous vibration with a heavy load. I would prefer to have the stay straight with a hole in the end to locate a bolt and spacer to make up the distance to the drop-out. Plus you do not need one on the other side as there is no caliper or caliper bolts to negotiate.

I have Blackburn Expedition racks on my touring bikes but the welds in crucial places have broken on a couple of occasions as the tubes are not welded all the way around just spots of weld ;) so would not recommend them as they simply aren't durable enough. So having discounted Topeak and Blackburn and Tubus (too expensive) for my recently acquired Kona Kula MTB I bought a Madison Summit rack £26 which I am very pleased with. The rack appears very well made, very strong and extremely light. It has 10mm tubing and is welded up properly and neatly around the whole diameter of all the tube joins as opposed to my Blackburn EX-2 racks which are not. It looks very similar to the Tubus Cargo only it is a fraction of the price. It has the same weight rating I think. You also get a 5 year warranty and mounts for both MTB and 700c bikes although I used the longer 700c mounts on my MTB so the rack cleared the mudguard a little more. Fitting is pretty straight forward although you do have to space out the non drive side of the rear wheel if you have disc brakes to clear the caliper as I had to do. It looks smart and I'm very pleased :thumbsdown:.

e-rider

crappy member
The madison summit might be well made for the price tag but it has a fundamental design fault.

The strap hooks near the lower fixing holes will wear a hole in your panniers in no time as they contact the lower inner part of the panniers on each side - this is completely useless and probably why most shops are currently selling them off cheap!!!

Shame really as other than that it looks like a decent rack for the price.

OP
OP
yellowhammer

yellowhammer

Well, thanks to some very useful advice from Crankarm I've got the rack on and it seems like a decent bit of kit. I ordered a set of SKS mudguards as the rack looked a bit silly with a Crud Catcher. :biggrin: No one told me what a cow the rear guard would be to fit though, the bleedin' thing. ;)

Tundragumski, I haven't got any panniers yet but I'll certainly take that into account when I do. I'm sure I can sort something out to avoid any problems. Reversing them won't work on my bike, there's no room.

So, now I have a mudguard, rack, Altura rack bag and a groovy Blackburn rear light. :sun: I'll get some pics at some point for anyone else who is thinking about this rack. Thanks for all the advice people, bet you can't wait for the next dozy question. :cheers:

Crankarm

Guru
Oh.....you got the mudguards :smile:. I thought your gf didn't share your enthusiasm for bike bits? What did you have to promise in return :sad:? Did you get them from Merlin? They are pretty quick generally next day delivery. You should have asked for some fitting tips as I found mine went on ok :ohmy:. Oh well sounds like you've fitted them now :smile:. You only have to ask for advice. It's just a few clicks away :sad:. That goes for anyone else. The only way we learn to avoid elephant traps is to bend a friendly ear :smile:. I guess most on here are happy to help others if we have tackled something and have first hand knowledge we can share to make some one else's life easier.

As regards the mounts if you reverse them and then change the sides to keep the same angle for mounting the rack as they are sided. Alternatively cut the angled "cut out" upper part of the mount off using a hack saw or grinder above the bolt holes or just flatten the angled piece carefully using some pliers or a vice. Or make a totally new mount using some stainless steel which I was tempted to do but couldn't be bothered. I would post pics but I don't know how to direclty upload pics here. I prefer not to use flickr or photobucket.

Top Bottom