MTB (Road use) Tyre Advice - Dropping from 1.75

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi guys,

After a recent 40 miler, I realised that my 1.75 Conti TourRide's are just a little too fat and cumbersome now.
Although they're perfect for my commute, I was finding climbing hills and things, they just weren't "all that".

I'm toying with the idea of dropping tyre size, but wanting to know the best tyre for my usage (predominantly all road use, I never go offroad, but I have used the odd trail - Camel Trail as an example).

Handling wise, I'm pretty good with handling my bike, so if I'm on a trail, I know to be wary and don't tend to do silly things.

The bike I'm on is a Merida Matts 40-D, not sure what the wheels are, but they are stock and have Alex Rims stickers on the sides.
Ideally the tyres would be used all year around, which the Contis do perfectly, as this bike is my commuter and everything else besides, but would like it to be comfortable enough to do long distances - I'm training for two 60 mile events - but suitable for wet riding as well as dry. Oh, and either puncture resistant or proof (like the Marathon Plus).
I should point out I'm 149kg and dropping too, not sure if that comes into it or not.

Thanks folks :smile:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Marathon and Marathon Plus are available in the thinner sizes for MTB (559mm diameter) rims. Example here: link.

The limiting factor will be how wide your rims are. This document shows what tyre will fit on what width rim (see page 7) and you'll probably find the size on the label or stamped into the metal of the rim in the format 559x??

Garethgas

I've used schwalbe city jets 1.5 (pumped to 80 psi) for over 10 yrs and never had a puncture.
I now have marathons 1.75 (pumped up to 60 psi).
I think I rode about a mile before a puncture lol but in fairness, nothing would have stopped that little nail.
Don't know if it's me but I find the city jets (at a higher pressure) much easier to ride and equally puncture proof.
I've changed back to the city jets for now as I'm doing 50 to 60 mile rides and I need the 'help' they give me.
I think everyone will have a different opinion on tyres but I can promise you that no tyre is puncture proof, just some are more resistant than others.
I'm not put off the marathons as they are wider and make far more comfortable ride but despite the very quick puncture, I still have full confidence in them.

OP
OP
PlymSlimCyclist

PlymSlimCyclist

Veteran
Thanks guys.

Sorry, should've said, I understand nothing is guaranteed, such as @Garethgas 's nail.
It's more to have less rolling resistance, more speed, and ultimately it's lining me up to get onto a CX, which will also have slicks.

I'll have a look at the City Jets, but was thinking smaller than 1.5, if it's possible on the wheels, as @Rickshaw Phil has said.

I'll have a look tonight, and let you both know :smile:

brand

I've used schwalbe city jets 1.5 (pl2649 to 80 psi) for over 10 yrs and never had a puncture.
I now have marathons 1.75 (pumped up to 60 psi).
I think I rode about a mile before a puncture lol but in fairness, nothing would have stopped that little nail.
Don't know if it's me but I find the city jets (at a higher pressure) much easier to ride and equally puncture proof.
I've changed back to the city jets for now as I'm doing 50 to 60 mile rides and I need the 'help' they give me.
I think everyone will have a different opinion on tyres but I can promise you that no tyre is puncture proof, just some are more resistant than others.
I'm not put off the marathons as they are wider and make far more comfortable ride but despite the very quick puncture, I still have full confidence in them.
. Not getting a puncture on city jets in 10 years is pure luck. What surface do you cycle on and how many miles do you do on average a week? I had my first puncture on Marathon plus in 2 maybe 3 years. The tyre (ATB) was almost bald. Marathon plus can be over rated as the best protection is in the middle. My puncture came through the side wall so no extra protection there. Repaired puncture but could not find what caused it. Time to replace the tyres. Got two new replacements off Ebay £34.50 delivered!http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351034124402?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
Sold out I am afraid but he may come back with more.

Top Bottom