MTB safer on road? Frustrated roadie.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

I like winters to be wintry but I'm already a frustrated roadie - got a turbo that am yet to get into but missing the fresh air of group rides already. I'm a road cyclist and my mtb doesn't get used much - when it is frosty is an mtb a lot safer? It's just something that's not crossed my mind before.

I used to only change to the mountain bike after the snow had been on the ground for a day and started freezing.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Depends on the sort of frosty I think and your tyres.

Knobbly tyres are good for grip in soft stuff - mud, snow. The knobbles dig in. On a smooth surface, the knobbles actually reduce the surface area of rubber in contact, so a smooth tyre is better. But a really skinny tyre will have a very small contact patch.

My winter bike has 26" wheels of an MTB chunkiness, with Big Apple tyres - wide, but relatively smooth tread. Perhaps fit something like them to your MTB.

(Also, fit mudguards for when it's wet. Turn the MTB into a perfect winter hack)

defy-one

i have switched to my hybrid now with 700 x 28c specialized armerdillo tyres. much much safer. no snaking about like the roadie

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'll run a road bike during much of the winter - it's got 25mm tyres on.

But when the weather's bad (ice/snow) I switch to my Python Impact MTB. It's got locked off suspension, 26" wheels and currently Schwalbe CityJet 1.75" tyres on, although I'll switch to knobblies this weekend for the rest of the winter.

OP
OP
Fletch456

Fletch456

Guru
So if it's a good bit of ice and am on road..the mtb is safer?

If I get into doing that may go for spikes / studded tyres.

Top Bottom