MTB Shoes on flat pedals???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spartan

Hi,

Had my first few runs over the last couple of weeks. Its obvious im not ready for SPDs in the slippery conditions at the moment across some of the terrain I have been on. Im used to Look pedals on the road bike but it will take me some time to improve technically on mtb.

Question is, I need to get some proper shoes to use with flat pedals. I wanted to not waste money and had planned to buy SPD shoes that I still use when I switch to spd pedals. Having had a look at some shoes this doesnt look as straight forward as i thought.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

D

Deleted member 1258

When I use my fixed on club runs in the winter I use a pair of these
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=31696
with flat pedals and toe clips and straps. I also have a second pair of these shoes which I use clipless on my summer bike with Time freeride pedals

Russell Allen

You can get little flat plates that clip into SPD pedals turning one face into a regular flat pedal, leaving the other side as SPD. You can then ride in SPD shoes and switch between the clipped and unclipped as conditions permit. Have you tried loosening the pedals off so you can unclip more easily, you may feel more confident to stay clipped in. I prefer SPD pedals for singletrack but put on a pair of DMR V8's for anything rougher.

The pedal converters can be found here, however these often come with a new bike and are usually discarded either in the shop or by the purchaser. Try asking around local bike shops, you may get them for nothing or cheap.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/mtb-cages-3885152/

You can get pedals that are flat on one side and SPD on the other such as Shimano A530 Touring Pedals

Regards

Russell Allen

D

Deleted member 1258

Some spd shoes come with a cover screwed over the holes for the cleats which you remove to install the cleats. You could leave this in place to start with & it would be fine for using with flats. My Shimano MT40s had this & iirc so did my pair of Lidl cheapies.

The shoes I linked to in my post have the cover screwed into the sole, an improvement on the original idea, a square piece of sole that you cut of to expose the recess for the cleats, then couldn't put back if you stopped using the cleats.

Top Bottom