MTB SPD vs Road bike SPD

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andywinds

I've never really looked at road pedals before and have borrowed a set of MTB pedals for my current borrowed road bike. All the MTB pedals I have ever used have been double sided, and it looks like road bike pedals are single sided, why is this?

Also are the SPD's still a good system for road bikes, I would like not to have to get another pair of shoes just yet!

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Also are the SPD's still a good system for road bikes, I would like not to have to get another pair of shoes just yet!
They are fine for road use, and there is the benefit that you won't walk funny at the cake stop.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I prefer SPD-SL (road) on my road bikes as I find I get hot spots on my feet during a long ride on SPDs. It could of course be the shoe, but maybe the wider platform of the SPD-SL is the main reason I don't suffer.

D

Deleted member 23692

I use A600 SPD pedals on my road bike .. They are single sided and have a decent sized platform, and the same weight as 105 5800 carbon SPD-SL pedals.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I prefer SPD-SL (road) on my road bikes as I find I get hot spots on my feet during a long ride on SPDs. It could of course be the shoe, but maybe the wider platform of the SPD-SL is the main reason I don't suffer.

it is the shoe.
Get shoes with much stiffer soles and you will eliminate the problem. Of course, there are other factors too.. how the cleat is positioned etc.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Pedals like the A600s are light, smart and matched with stiff shoes have the benefits of road pedals and recessed cleats. Not everyone gets on with the fact they need to be flipped to clip in. I seem to think @vickster didnt like them. I used them with carbon Spesh shoes and loved them for commuting.

vickster

Legendary Member
They were awful and now belong to @cyberknight after a swap for m520

Levo-Lon

Guru
I use spd pedals on my road bike..i have the cleat full forward and that seems to be good for me..no hot spots with it more forward plus my foot dont catch the front wheel with my foot set back.
I find my road shoe and pedals ok too but prefere the mtb ones.

the road pedals are more agro cliping in ,out etc

boydj

Legendary Member
Unless you are into racing on the road, I can't see the sense in wearing shoes you can't walk in. Personally, I use Speedplay Frogs, which are more of a touring pedal, but use recessed cleats.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Very easy to strip and rebuild too with the correct tool - which costs pennies - though i prefer the similar but lighter 540.

@Drago

Had some from new on my bike but the Left got trashed in an off.

I got the OEM ones from Evans for replacement - 100% genuine Shimano and the same as boxed ones but they come in a plastic bag and no instructions which is pretty low down on my 'end of the world' list.

Cost £13 instead of £25-30.

Did a bit of research on OEM Shimano and they are spot-on.

Ludicrously cheap price for such good pedals. They have about 4k miles on them now and I've not serviced them once and they still spin smoothly.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
SPDs are just great. I tour on dual sided ones, and have some SPD one side, flat on t'other for the hack. I need at least one bike I can ride in civvies!

Top Bottom