MTB to Touring bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My first tourer was an mtb - served me very well - bit flexy though - coming off a big col I had to be very careful with braking going into hairpins - too hard and the rear would jump out - it was a Marin Eldridge - steel frame - had to be put down after a few years - came back on the bus from a tour of France - at the drop off point where i had left my car I lifted the bike up to put it on my car rack and noticed the chainstays had rusted through from the inside

raleighnut

Legendary Member
No rack as yet, but it's a very nice ride. Front brake squeals like a frightened hamster though... View attachment 347868
Try putting some copper grease on the brake bosses, it seems to 'damp out' the vibration that causes squeal.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
My first tourer was an mtb - served me very well - bit flexy though - coming off a big col I had to be very careful with braking going into hairpins - too hard and the rear would jump out - it was a Marin Eldridge - steel frame - had to be put down after a few years - came back on the bus from a tour of France - at the drop off point where i had left my car I lifted the bike up to put it on my car rack and noticed the chainstays had rusted through from the inside
Amazing. A well used bike, I'm sure.

Amazing. A well used bike, I'm sure.

1999-1-NZ-0419 Summit PostJPG.JPG

It did all right :smile:

I've posted this in a few threads now but this is my old Marin Bear Valley, retired from mtn biking and now serving as tourer come relaxed ride bike

20160915_095407.jpg

I did a few days on it last September and whilst not perfect, it's plenty good enough for my intentions. I'd add a front rack for camp touring and I've toyed with the idea of re-building the front wheel with a dynamo, mainly for charging stuff on the go but I don't have a need yet. One day.

Last edited:

stewie griffin

Über Member
What is it stewie?

Sorry, forgot that important bit of information!

The frame was a bare painted Dawes Edge ordered new around 1992, all the other parts used to build it up then came from a broken framed Marin pine mountain that was around a year old.

Used it as a mountain bike for a few years before going to touring duties.

Lots of bits changed over the years but still has Marin light forks, the hubs from the Marin, Deore XT brakes & most of the drive, the rapid fire shifters still working but now feeling very wobbly indeed.

Last edited:

stewie griffin

Über Member
Wonderful. Like your approach. Congrats on keeping the hubs going. Rapidfires are damn reliable as well, which is why i in the end veered away from bar end thumbies on my new 26 inch wheeled expedition bike.
Long may your love continue to roll.

The Rapid fire shifters have been amazing, normally I avoid complications by keeping things simple, simple they are not yet they have worked all this time with virtually zero maintenance.

Having said that the right 7 speed one is feeling very iffy though still working fine, because I'm going to be riding for a couple of weeks soon I thought about replacing it in advance, then decided instead to take a very old cheap friction shifter & cable robbed off a skip bike as a get me by & just deal with it when something breaks, I can do this at the side of the road if necessary.

If it ain't broken.............

I like your approach,

I had some Altus seven speed shifters on a bike for close on 20 years before one of them (I think it was the 7 speed rear shifting one) went but the other is still going.
I think their delicacy for tough expedition use is overstated and the cheap ones are I think often as reliable as the expensive ones. My Alivio 8 speed pods actually look nicer, and tougher, to me than my 9 speed Deore ones. No great problem to pack a spare shifter for the rear if you are worried on a long trip. I got a three speed simple friction shifter off ebay for around a fiver.

Top Bottom