MTB wheels

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking, Trials and BMX' started by Nearly there, 23 Aug 2012.

1. Nearly there

Nearly there Über Member

I need a wheelset for my hardtail which has v brakes but looking around they all seem to say disc brake compatible so will these fit a v brake bike or can you get standard v brake wheels ?looking at spending sub £200 these wheels will be used mainly on the road during autumn winter when its too wet for the road bike.

2. MontyVeda

MontyVeda a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

yes you can still get v, or 'rim' brake wheels.
    no, disk brake wheels aren't usually compatible as they have no braking surface, and they are not designed to be squeezed by a brake.

it's annoying though, the way MTB wheels are being standardised towards the disk... I'm struggling to find a set of 'rim' brake wheels built on a 7 speed hub.

Nearly there likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Nearly there

Nearly there Über Member

thats what I need too

4. RecordAceFromNew

RecordAceFromNew Swinging Member

It is definitely true that rim brake mtb wheel choice is increasingly limited. Fortunately for under £200 factory wheels imho this deal is great and hard to beat. For handbuilt it is easier (because any compatible mtb hub, disc or otherwise, is fine) and if you can afford e.g. Mavic's XC717 rims and DT Revolution spokes then your wheels will be as quick as pretty much any money can get.

5. OP
    OP
    Nearly there

Nearly there Über Member

Blimey it really is limited out there

6. Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil Overconfidentii Vulgaris Moderator

Any of these do you? Link
    Or these? Link

EDIT: Plus one of these to fit a 7 speed cassette on to an 8/9 speed hub.

7. RecordAceFromNew

There are quite a lot of 26" rim brake rims still around. Incidentally you don't need to look for 7 speed hubs. The vast majority of Shimano compatible freehubs will take a 7 speed Shimano cassette (plus a spacer).

Nearly there likes this.
  8. MontyVeda

it doesn't stop my 9 speed hub from being real squeeze in between my chain/seat stays... it's too wide by a good 10mm

9. RecordAceFromNew

Ah as you probably know nearly all modern mtb rear stays have 135mm rear dropout distance. If for whatever reason yours is not then it is not a good idea to force it if the frame is alloy.

10. Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil Overconfidentii Vulgaris Moderator

I have been swotting up on Sheldon Brown and I stand corrected.:blush:

Older 7 speed freehubs use an OLN measurement of 126mm rather than the 130mm (road bikes) or 135mm (mountain/trekking bikes) that are currently standard.

This is a major issue if you have an aluminium alloy frame as spreading the dropouts is not recommended with this material due to the risk of stress failure.

All I can suggest in this case is that you find a hub (they don't seem readily available unfortunately) and your favourite brand of rim and have them built up or have a new rim built onto your existing hub if it's in good condition.

MontyVeda likes this.
  11. MontyVeda

Aye that makes sense.... bike is now 17 years old, hence the tight squeeze on my cheap replacement rear wheel. I've got both old hubs from the two sets of wheels I've had... i reckon they've got about 50 years life left in em.

thanks for swatting up for me :thumbsup:

Nearly there likes this.
  12. MontyVeda

regarding a wheel built on to a 7 speed hub...
    I've been in conflab with Spa Cycles regarding this, and they said

so maybe this is what you're looking for
    http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s200p2240 ... £206.00

or

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s200p2239 ... £156.00

13. OP
    OP
    Nearly there

Nearly there Über Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice