MTBrompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
A fairly pointless exercise in answer to a 'What if..' question. Unless you've got £s to burn in order find out the answer it's a waste of money and resources.

EckyH

That video is entertaining for me, because my experiences with a standard Brompton (S2L with 54/15 as low gear, Continental City Contact with roughly 7.5bar (just under 110 PSI)) on relatively dry, but soft forst path and fairly heavy load on the front and on my back are that it is pretty capable. It was much more work than fun, because as a heavy person I have to consider the boundaries of the bicycle and the load on the front was electronic equipment. But it was doable and I was surprised how well the bicycle mastered it. The paths I rode in these circumstances ranged from the towpaths in the video to the easier paths in the woods. And of course I was much, much slower than these two guys.
Every bicycle for rougher terrain would have been better and of course also the MTBrompton in the video.

Of course that MTBrompton is a "because we can" project. But one of them pointed out that there is one scenario where it is much more than that: if storage space for bicycles is the highest obstacle, then such a MTBrompton makes much sense.

E.

PS: I find the "MTB" paint job horrible. ;)

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm on a folding bike forum and off road antics on folders are quite common, helped by 20 inch wheeled steeds having a choice of BMX tyres. Not sure why people would want to do so, but if it turns them on why not?

Top Bottom