muc off ceramic wet lube

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bladesman73

Über Member
Been using this stuff since i got my road bike two years ago. Was ok with it until recently. Use over a prolonged period seems to leave gunk on the rear cassette and front chainrings, as well as the chain, which gets harder to remove. Anyone else had this issue and can recommend a better alternative?

Citius

All drivetrains will get dirty if you don't clean them periodically - regardless of how expensive the lube is.

OP
OP
bladesman73

bladesman73

Über Member
I clean using degreaser once per month. However gradually this gunk builds up and becomes harder to remove.

I clean using degreaser once per month. However gradually this gunk builds up and becomes harder to remove.
There's your problem, you wouldn't even get away with that and another lube, without doing damage because it washed off or at the other extreme without getting extremely; ceramic lube is a great middle ground and you can get away with less frequent application/cleaning. Its been really dry and I've burst my thumb so Ive got away with not cleaning it for nearly two weeks :whistle: Normally its cleaned at least weekly or straight after a wet ride.

OP
OP
bladesman73

bladesman73

Über Member
So what if u try and do the mickle method then? That method suggests not to use degreaser. i try to do that and then clean using degreaser each month. From what ive heard using degreaser as often as you guys do will ruin ur chain

Tom B

Guru
How much do you spend on degreaser and lube per month vs cost of replacing chain and sprockets?
I go for monthly or so cleaning on the commuter but then I do have access to wholesale prices chains and sprockets. Some of these posh lubes and degreasers are about the same price as a chain.

I've never used ceramic lubes on bikes but my mate has a car garage, he was only moaning a few weeks ago about how sticky , messy and hard to clean it is his preference is for copperslip - not an option for bike chains but i do use a smear on the back of pads.

Last edited:
Top Bottom