Muck Cleaner / Degreaser ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
On your bike, just use car shampoo, or even washing up liquid. If you want something really good for cleaning drive chains etc (take it off the bike before cleaning), you can get Screw Fix 5L of 'No nonsense Degreaser' for less than £10. Lasts ages and is great for general cleaning as well. Great on cleaning UPVC windows, kitchen surfaces, bike gears, car wheels, house paintwork...

It's great stuff.

On your bike, just use car shampoo, or even washing up liquid. If you want something really good for cleaning drive chains etc (take it off the bike before cleaning), you can get Screw Fix 5L of 'No nonsense Degreaser' for less than £10. Lasts ages and is great for general cleaning as well. Great on cleaning UPVC windows, kitchen surfaces, bike gears, car wheels, house paintwork...

It's great stuff.
Damn. Beaten to it.

RichardB

Slightly retro
When I had a motorcycle, I used Muc-Off regularly. Spray it on in all the nooks and crannies, go for a cup of tea, rinse off with a hose. That was usually enough for most purposes. It got the bikes looking 'clean enough'. It's also good as an all-purpose cleaner for the awkward bits on the car. If the bicycles get dirty enough this winter that I can't just rub them clean with a cloth, then I will try it on them too. It comes in a trigger spray bottle and is not dilutable, but it's cheap enough to use undiluted.

fossyant

You dilute it much more than 50/50 - more like 1-20 or 1-10. I use it all the time for cleaning oil up (drop my MTB cassette and chain into a small paint pot of diluted solition every once in a while, and clean up with a brush. 50/50 is a bit strong and wasteful.

fossyant

I would advise any harsh cleaners on paintwork or components as it can dull the finish - I don't use muck-off. General washing, just a bucket and sponge with car shampoo.

D

Deleted member 26715

The Screwfix stuff neat will bring oil out of block paving so I wouldn't put it on paint

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
FWIW I use Muc-off stuff; the pink general cleaner for, err, general duties and their water-based degreaser for degreasing!

Probably paying through the nose for "bike specific" stuff but it's the only stuff I've used and I rate it highly. I have 1l of the former and 500ml of the latter, both maybe 75% gone after a couple of year's worth of use. I'm generally a fairweather road / gravel cyclist and I wax my chains so once the drivetrain's seen the degreaser once it rarely needs it again..

I'd advise against using non-water-based / biodegradable degreasers since you usually rinse the bike off afterwards (and of course this goes down the drain). I'd also advise against using anything too harsh on paintwork (certainly wouldn't use washing up liquid) and to give it a good wax periodically as this makes the crap easier to get off in future. Finally, if it's just mud plain water will be fine; but I'd not rub anything dry as you'll scratch the paint.

screenman

Legendary Member
I think Muc-Off is a watered down version of TFR of which I buy 25 litre for around £15 and mix it at about 5 parts water to 1 part TFR, been using it on bikes' caravan' cars, plastic windows surrounds and lots more for as long as I can remember.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Jizer is really good for cleaning cassettes and chains.

It's about £20 for five litres and a can of it lasts a very long time.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
As above Screwfix No Nonsense stuff, actually got a gallon myself the other day ^_^

I've asked a few times in various places as to what the pink Muc-Off spray actually does/adds to a cleaning process (there was even another knockoff version that B&M or home bargains did) - Nobody has been able to answer :whistle:

Top Bottom