Mud Guards, Headrests & Flags.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stearman65

Three of the additions I want to make to my newly acquired ICE Adventure Folding Trike, are a headrest, 3 mudguards & one or two flags. IMO the manufacturers versions are too expensive, so I intend to obtain / fabricate my own. The first essential will be a set of mudguards, I have ordered two sets of Halford's Polisport Everest Clip on 20inch mudguards at £7.29 a set. I've ordered 2 sets as from the pictures & the need for the rear guard to also protect the rear of the mesh seat. & my back, so I may have to join the two rear guards to do this. That will leave me with 2 front guards set to give maximum protection. The stays will either be aluminium flat bar or wire. As for fixings I intend to use the existing on the trike & whatever comes with the guards which is unclear. I have numerous brackets & screws from my previous up-cycling projects. See pictures in the flickr folder.
For the headrest, I did a search on ebay in the car parts section & found a brand new Ford Mondeo rear seat head rest @ £6.50 including postage, with 300mm long arms which hopefully will give sufficient adjustment. To fix the headrest to the seat, I've ordered two motorcycle mirror mounts which will fix to the existing cross bar on the seat, £3.29 inc postage.
Finally the flag/s. This one will cause some comment, I've ordered a pocket fishing rod, see picture. Not sure how I will attach it or them yet or even if it will work, it looks OK although the price is a bit steep @ £4.69 + 99p postage for 1. As for the flags themselves, my wife is looking out for a suitalbe piece of material. Savings to date £255.00. That's it for now, watch this space for progress.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/eric_shepherd/albums/72157673266894152
My mobile garage is back from the van hospital, so hopefully I can crack on now.

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
My flag is attached to the stay on the rack using a combination of gaffer tape and cable ties. It hasn't budged a millimeter.

classic33

Leg End Member
Headrest is too heavy and will damage the seat.

Three sets of normal mudguards required.

Last edited:

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
For a rear mudguard on the Trice Borealis I used a 26 inch SKS rear which I had laying around. It fits the Trices 20 inch wheel and was easy to shape by bending the rods and pulling the mudguard in, just needed to shorten the rods slightly. As for front mudguards, my Trices came with them, but I'd bite the bullet and buy the proper item as they work so well, stay secure and look decent. If you're good at making brackets/welding then I'd copy Ices design/measurements.

Flags? They're cheap as chips on eBay-if you just want plain yellow or orange. Assuming the Adventure has the standard mesh seat, a standard diameter flag pole slots down the side seat tubes. If it has solid caps just drill a hole, the flags are then held by the cap, and when pushed down to where the seat tube bends it holds tightly so there's no rattle/shake. Plus they can be pulled out in a flash for transporting in a car.

I'm with you on making a homemade neckrest. I just made one for the Metabike using 2 metal flag mount brackets, clamped round a piece of plastic plumbing pipe, wrapped in that anti slip matting stuff. I just heat glued it to the hardshell seat, and it's all hidden under the seatpad anyway. It's not adjustable but set up perfect for me. An adjustable rest for a hardshell would be trickier, and certainly take longer than the 15 minutes it took for me to knock one up!

A car headrest may be a bit big and way too heavy? You only need a small area to rest the back of your neck, especially if you wear a helmet?

Last edited:
OP
OP
stearman65

stearman65

A car headrest may be a bit big and way too heavy? You only need a small area to rest the back of your neck, especially if you wear a helmet?
My Mondeo rear middle seat head rest is 19.5 x 10cm x 10cm deep, The heaviest bits are the sprung steel supports which I'll cut to length when it's fitted.

OP
OP
stearman65

stearman65

For a rear mudguard on the Trice Borealis I used a 26 inch SKS rear which I had laying around. It fits the Trices 20 inch wheel and was easy to shape by bending the rods and pulling the mudguard in, just needed to shorten the rods slightly. As for front mudguards, my Trices came with them, but I'd bite the bullet and buy the proper item as they work so well, stay secure and look decent. If you're good at making brackets/welding then I'd copy Ices design/measurements.
To be honest besides the price I don't like the shape of the Ice mudguards, bit fussy for me. The picture shows a Morgan 3 wheeler replica I built in my forties, boughtt the guards & stays from a vintage car show.
upload_2016-9-28_21-0-28.png

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
My Mondeo rear middle seat head rest is 19.5 x 10cm x 10cm deep, The heaviest bits are the sprung steel supports which I'll cut to length when it's fitted.
Heaviest part is the steel that runs right through the headrest. Either end are just that, ends of a preformed shape onto which the headrest is moulded into place around.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
stearman65

stearman65

The headrest, m/cycle mirror brackets & mini fishing rod have all arrived. Problems, metalwork on headrest, diameter may be too much for brackets, have to trial drill to check, weighed in at 1Lb which will reduce when supports cut to length. Fishing rod flag pole ok, just need to fettle the recepticle to hold it to the trike. Also ordered a set of Raleigh MTB pedals with toe clips & straps. Those have arrived & look OK for the money. The Halfords mudguards were collected Saturday, after 3 attempts at ordering them, (Halfords really need to get their act into gear) surprisingly substantial. However the mat black finish will have to be enhanced, may paint them the same blue as the trike? Finally my new Dispatch van has proved to be a dog, with numerous faults & is going back to the dealer as soon as I've found another. Testing a replacement later this morning. Until that is found & obtained, work on the trike curtailed, hopefully will re-start by the end of the week. :wacko:

Last edited:
You have not mentioned if your tame mobile cycle mechanic arrived on Friday ?
Did he sort out the other issues and concerns such as the SA Drum brakes ?
ICE now offer a cnc machined flag mount holder .that clamps to the seat crossmember
The normal way to fit the ICE Flag pole or for that matter aftermarket poles .
Is to simply slide into the pre drilled top seat frame bungs right or left side or both
You may not have spotted them as the seat cover hides them
Note the two small slits in the fabric next to the top corners and zip pocket
Carefully poke or prod a ball driver allen key into the slit to locate or reveal the bung with the hole.

OP
OP
stearman65

stearman65

Put a deposit on a replacement van Monday, collected it Thursday. Friday attempted to load the trike & folding bike ready assembled. Started off in fine drizzle which increased to a full blown downpour. So after wetting all the gear thoroughly, gave up in disgust. As soon as the weather improves will have another try.
upload_2016-10-8_8-7-52.png

Put a deposit on a replacement van Monday, collected it Thursday. Friday attempted to load the trike & folding bike ready assembled. Started off in fine drizzle which increased to a full blown downpour. So after wetting all the gear thoroughly, gave up in disgust. As soon as the weather improves will have another try.
View attachment 146925

I doubt if you need to fold the trike .....with your latest car estate van/.truck or skip loader and mobile garage
......try this .
Rear wheel in first aiming for the centre of the load area .
Then open the rear side door and slide the trike across towards the passenger seat belt zone
Now turn your front wheels into line with the rear wheel arch and spare tyre
Finally secure using the floor mounted luggage eyes and place the trike parking brake on .
Some folk pop bungee loops on the trike front brakes
If your struggling on the width ......make up a dummy floor at the same height as your right rear wheel arch to gain another 2"
Now you need to consider a CRG Chain Ring Guard which will save your car trim shins
Halfords don't stock them ...........ICE make proven designed and refined CRG * and they are great value for money in the long term !
*So strong you can store the trike in the vertical
For the longer trips .....to save space ........fold the trike as per the ICE instructions + remove the front wheels (simple allen keys/spanner )
At which point the whole lot will fit into a standard padded MTB bag with grab handles and some bags form a groundsheet and have tiny wheels fitted !
Hope that helps .......is the trike now adjusted and safe to stop and of course ride ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
stearman65

stearman65

Finally got around to loading the bike & trike into the van, it goes in best unfolded, too much of a struggle for wife & I in the limited space with it folded. The wheel tracks are 4 inches wider than the ramp so it has to be carried. The trike is going around to the mechanic Tuesday with a list of items to do. Hoping to fit the headrest & mudguards myself when the mudguard stays arrive. In hindsight the Mission trike would have been easier to load being a delta shape with a narrower track to fit the ramp. Will see how things turn out when the repairs are complete.
upload_2016-10-14_17-17-33.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-10-14_17-16-23.png
    upload_2016-10-14_17-16-23.png
    229.9 KB · Views: 53
Finally got around to loading the bike & trike into the van, it goes in best unfolded, too much of a struggle for wife & I in the limited space with it folded. The wheel tracks are 4 inches wider than the ramp so it has to be carried. The trike is going around to the mechanic Tuesday with a list of items to do. Hoping to fit the headrest & mudguards myself when the mudguard stays arrive. In hindsight the Mission trike would have been easier to load being a delta shape with a narrower track to fit the ramp. Will see how things turn out when the repairs are complete.
View attachment 147832
Just a thought having viewed your latest picture .
Assuming you have no plans to use the rear passenger left side zone
and not running a Taxi service for fellow residents !
Why not move the spare wheel to that space and either lay flat with a deck or box over it . or stand in the vertical . You will need to ensure the spare wheel is retained by a subframe and secured for safety .
With your history of kit cars and DIY designs of headrests + Mudguards it should be a simple solution .
Long term I'am sure it will make things easier for you as you will have a roll on roll off
transporter/garage .

OP
OP
stearman65

stearman65

Took the trike around to the mechanics this morning for its overhaul. I had thought the chain was the correct length as the previous owner was my size. However , the M rang to ask if I'd adjusted the boom since I bought it as he thought the chain too long. As I'd only done a few hundred yards in it & not changed gears, I've confirmed the boom hasn't been adjusted so he's removing a couple of links as the chain was jumping on the smallest cogs. Did a trial fit of the mudguards before taking the trike & although the fronts will be shortish, they'll be better that none. The rear was supposed to be for 20" diameter, but don't follow the wheel contour exactly, may need some tweaking. The M/c is fitting the pedals, so there's only the headrest, which I tried but the M/C mirror brackets I was going to fit it to the seat with don't have enough meat for the diameter of the HR supports. Bought a couple of chrome 15mm Hospital saddles which with a plastic pipe insert should be OK & look the biz.

Top Bottom