mudgaurds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jim_Noir

My back SKS mudgaurd snapped in two today, how can this even happen?! So am wondering what to get as a replacment, if any, on the sirrus. I looked at racing blades but they don't seem to keep the dirt off the bike, just off me :biggrin:

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Never heard of an SKS mudguard snapping in two. You didn't do a Basil Faulty with a tree branch did you?

OP
OP
Jim_Noir

Jim_Noir

LOL It was on the canal path with look of branches around though. It's not even snapped near a bracket, though to be fair the fitting isn't right for the on the sirrus and you have to do a homebrew on two of the fittings... so I assume there has been a fair bit of vibration that is lead to their demies... only two months old too.

kyuss

Veteran
Take a look at the new Crud Roadracer. They look fantastic and seem like they'll offer a bit more protection than raceblades. Cheaper too (£28 rrp I think). I'll be getting a pair as soon as they come out. According to Mr Crud, who posted in a thread about them elsewhere, they'll be hitting shops on Monday.

I had a problem with an SKS mudguard eyelet (rivet) failing. Shop replaced it no problem. How old is it? Did you modify it to fit, in any way?

OP
OP
Jim_Noir

Jim_Noir

Thanks Kyuss, they look ideal

They where only 2 months old, and yes did have to modify them to fit. I did think about taking them back... but since the vibration was driving me nuts, and had no bag to put it in, it got removed and put in the bin at the stables inn!

Randochap

Senior hunter
Every serious wet weather cyclist eventually discovers Honjo mudguards. If you look at photos and think "Those must weigh a ton!" you'd be very much mistaken. They are as light as plastic counterparts and last forever. Plus they look better than any other mudguard on the market.

For instance, see how they look on a beautiful, lightweight ti audax bike. Follow this link, open the full-screen photo gallery (let 'em load), click on "Seen at Rocky: Rando Velos" and navigate to photo #6. Tell me that's not one of the sexiest bikes you've ever seen.

kyuss

Veteran
That's not one of the sexiest bikes I've seen. Well, actually it's pretty tasty but unfortunately some numpty's gone and made it look like a beach cruiser by fitting guards that look like they've been attacked by a blind man with a hammer. :biggrin:

Randochap

Senior hunter
Well beauty is in the eye of the beholder, kyuss. Thing is, your opinion is solidly in the minority. The "hammered" look you are referring to is on my bike. The mudguards on the bike I directed to in photos sports plain Honjos.

As far as my bike goes -- with the hammered mudguards -- of all the bikes I own, it is the only one that draws crowds wherever I go (well, until it was destroyed by a runaway truck last month!) -- even in "racer boy" shops -- due mainly to the Honjos. Everyone loves them.

randochap is spot on. i have the hammered honjos on my kaffenback and they look great. expensive yes, but they are very good, well made muds. think i've seen some honjo type muds that were a bit cheaper, thinking i may have seen them on the freshtripe web site and they could have been velo orange ones. sorry to be vague but i look at a lot of bike stuff....lol

Randochap

Senior hunter
velocidad said:
i've seen some honjo type muds that were a bit cheaper, thinking i may have seen them on the freshtripe web site and they could have been velo orange ones.

Probably. The VO guards are nice and priced competitively. Not quite as polished and pretty as Honjos, but still decidedly better than plastic.

BTW, the hammered Honjo has the advantage of not showing scratches and dings.

bonj2

Randochap said:
Every serious wet weather cyclist eventually discovers Honjo mudguards. If you look at photos and think "Those must weigh a ton!" you'd be very much mistaken. They are as light as plastic counterparts and last forever. Plus they look better than any other mudguard on the market.

For instance, see how they look on a beautiful, lightweight ti audax bike. Follow this link, open the full-screen photo gallery (let 'em load), click on "Seen at Rocky: Rando Velos" and navigate to photo #6. Tell me that's not one of the sexiest bikes you've ever seen.

blimey what a complex procedure! I got bored after step 3!
It reads like the instructions for building a car!

Randochap

Senior hunter
bonj said:
blimey what a complex procedure! I got bored after step 3! It reads like the instructions for building a car!

I have a very short attention span for everything ... except bicycles. I know every nut and bolt on all my bikes and so know their limitations and roadworthiness.

Cars I know nothing about ... nor do I care to.

Installing Honjo fenders requires very little attention, just basic wrenching skills.

kyuss

Veteran
Randochap said:
The "hammered" look you are referring to is on my bike. The mudguards on the bike I directed to in photos sports plain Honjos.

Detail noticing fail. Must pay more attention. ;)

I'm sure they're fantastic guards (they certainly look well made and worth the money) but they're just not my kind of thing. They remind me of an old galvanised bin lid.;)

Like you say though, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The world would be a very boring place if everyone liked the same kind of thing.

Bodhbh

Guru
Those Honjo mudguards look great, but being aluminium won't they go white with salt on the roads come winter?

Top Bottom