mudguard advice on MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

weely

I have a 09 specialized hardrock - which I have changed the tires for thin 1.35s for commuting.

My main problem is the water spraying up and hitting me in the face from in front of my handle bars, so one of those crud catcher would be of little use.

Is there a mudguard for a front sus that would be a good length and also be close to the wheel to stop this?

Norm

Best solution that I've seen is a piece of inner tube cut up and stretched to fit across the bridge above the tyre, then secured with cable ties. Because it was so flexible, it moved with the forks but it was pretty much completely invisible.

yashicamat

I use one of these SKS Shock Blades on my Specialized Rockhopper when offroading (plus the counterpart for the rear). Works really well ploughing through mud and water on the fireroads, so it should be the ticket for your commuting! The lower tail of the 'guard isn't that low though, so your shoes will get splashed still, but on a front sus MTB I think it's probably the best you'll get. They kind of look like a dirt motorcross bike mudguard when fitted.

They're also detachable in seconds so easy to clean.:becool:

Cranky

yashicamat said:
I use one of these SKS Shock Blades on my Specialized Rockhopper when offroading (plus the counterpart for the rear). Works really well ploughing through mud and water on the fireroads, so it should be the ticket for your commuting! The lower tail of the 'guard isn't that low though, so your shoes will get splashed still, but on a front sus MTB I think it's probably the best you'll get. They kind of look like a dirt motorcross bike mudguard when fitted.

They're also detachable in seconds so easy to clean.:biggrin:

I would also recommend this. When I used my Marin MTB for touring the Shock Blade cured the 'shower in the face' experience.

Mr Pig

I've got a set of these: LINK and they work very well. Clip off in seconds too when you don't want to use them. The ones I have are the older version and you can still pick them up cheap in some places. The new ones are much the same but have a wider bracket for the front guard so that it'll fit onto the newer suspension forks with the larger crowns/legs.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Norm said:
Best solution that I've seen is a piece of inner tube cut up and stretched to fit across the bridge above the tyre, then secured with cable ties. Because it was so flexible, it moved with the forks but it was pretty much completely invisible.

+1

Not pretty, but incredibly effective :wacko:

032.jpg

Ignore the stupidly low seat, I was playing on the jumps in the woods with my chums...............

As you do when you're 36 Years old :biggrin:

Norm

Panter said:
+1

Not pretty, but incredibly effective :wacko:
Fantastic!

I wasn't sure if I was dreaming when I saw it (the rider was distractingly cute, so it obviously wasn't you :smile: ) but I've had a look and it appeared to be feasible. Glad that it's effective. :biggrin:

Panter

Just call me Chris...
:blush:

It came up on a MTB forum a while ago.
You can actually buy a flashy version of it, but it's expensive for what it is.

I must admit I was a bit sceptical when I stuck mine on as it looks as if it can't possibly work but I've even got away with the odd mad, muddy woods ride when I've forgotten my safety glasses ;)

Stephenite

Membå
Genius!

Top Bottom