Mudguard eyelet bolts - imperial thread size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Would anyone know the size of bolt which is used to thread into the frame and forks to secure the mudguard stays? It's a 1962 Claud Butler, my LBS suggests tapping it out to take a generic metric bolt, but I'd rather replace them.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Might be worth measuring its ID and trying to get an idea of the thread pitch by measuring the thickness of the material and counting the threads at within that hole depth? Imperial stuff can often be a bit of a nightmare but I'm 100% with you in keeping it original if possible :smile:

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I have got the original bolts, but they have a flat slotted head (which are difficult to tighten) and as I'm adding a pannier rack the rear bolts need to be slightly deeper.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
How can that be a bodge !!!!

Because the eyelet is threaded my inner fussiness means I want to use the correct bolts.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I might have found the answer, looks like they are 10-32 UNF
Nice work - didn't realise you had the original bolt and in that case it should just be a (relatively) straighforward process of measuring its OD and ascertaining it's thread pitch - which I imagine is what you've already done. Good luck getting it sorted :smile:

roley poley

Über Member
if you get yourself one of these
IMG_20200618_131347.jpg
its an 8 sided thread restoring file by pickavant and you can refurb old threads on original bits there are vids on YouTube of them in action :smile:

Top Bottom