Mudguard light/reflectors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Ive got a large saddlebag fitted to my bike (carradice sqr tour) usually with my rear light (cateye L1100) attached to it, also have seat post mount if bags not coming. Despite always having a light, ive been thinking i should probably have a rear reflector visable and was thinking about a cheapy mudguard reflector.

I found this mudguard reflector with built-in light: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Portl...table-LED-Bike-Light-/190583227461#vi-content and also this cheaper one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Torch-Fen...ail-Bike-Cycle-Light-/270833043959#vi-content

Im not sure if its any good, but it might be better than just a reflector. Im really just wondering if theyre worth it or if theres better options, or should i just buy a cheapy reflector?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I used to occasionally import and flog european JOS/Spanninga ones on ebay/ctc forum (as a way to fund getting one for myself) but with the £ vs € I thought they got too expensive and stopped. Practical Cycles UK often have them in stock these days

andrew_s

Legendary Member
St John Street Cycles sell the Fenderbot at £14.29, and the other one at £5.99. Check postage
Practical Cycles are also selling the Fenderbot, so I doubt you'll get the Spanninga there.

I reckon a mudguard light would be better than just a reflector, as a light attached to a saddlebag would generally not be aimed directly back at the following cars, and thus will not appear nearly as bright as it should.

tyred

Legendary Member
I would consider the mudguard as the best place to put a reflector as it's low enough to catch the dipped beam of car headlights.

I would recommend one of these if you just want a reflector without a light. I have one on my Viscount (see pic in the vintage road bike thread) and it's good quality and has a decent surface area. Or look at a cheap mudguard mounted dynamo lamp, even if you never use a dynamo, the reflector is still good.

Top Bottom