Mudguard recommendations for Genesis Equilibrium

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm not going to say QRs "saved my life" as I wasn't going very fast but I did have an incident when a surprisingly large chunk of rather rotten wood somehow managed to jump up and wedge itself under my front guard on a twisty downhill. The QRs popped and I came to a wobbly halt.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cool_hand

cool_hand

Über Member
Due to all the wet weather we're having here in the UK I refitted the Fend Off to my Equilibrium – did they make the bike feel heavy? Yes they did! Manufacturers weight is 637g. Maybe it's my imagination but the guards also appear to effect the handling, the bike feels more like a tank to ride now.

I need some new guards for my other road bike as the hand-me-down SKS that were fitted were a bit rubbish. I could go with Fend Off again but noting the weight and increased price maybe I should stick with plastic.

Flingers !
1000010804.jpg

andrew_s

Legendary Member
An approved reflector is mandatory after dark. It doesn't have to be on the mudguard.
Pedal reflectors are also mandatory after dark. There's no exclusion for clipless, so it's reflective ankle straps and chance having to argue the case, or choose your pedals.
My reflector is built in to my rear light (also mandatory after dark).

Sallar55

Veteran
Are you trying to tell us that clipless pedals are not legal. I have the old TIME attak reflectors somewhere that you can fit onto the pedals but why should i bother. Don't think that the police would do anything if you're well lit up front and rear.

vickster

Legendary Member
Are you trying to tell us that clipless pedals are not legal. I have the old TIME attak reflectors somewhere that you can fit onto the pedals but why should i bother. Don't think that the police would do anything if you're well lit up front and rear.

Technically, not in the UK if no reflectors

OP
OP
cool_hand

cool_hand

Über Member
A red rear reflector fixed to your bike is mandatory between sunset and sunrise. Where else have you got such a reflector mounted on your bike? Been mandatory for decades.
I have a rear reflector mounted to my seat-post. Also have reflector mounted to my handlebars.
The law around reflectors and clipless pedals has always baffled me because most clipless pedals don't have reflectors as standard and there's not really anywhere to mount them. I agree, the Police are not interested.
What is the law around bells? I'm aware new bikes have to sold with a bell fitted to the bars but I always remove them.

johnnyb47

Guru
Tonight as the weather is not to good I decided to fit my new SKS Raceblades pro xl guards.
The blurb says they can be fitted quickly and easily and off you go ( or something to those words)
Well ,I must be lacking in something because it took me an hour and half fussing and farting around with them.
The front mudguard fits perfectly and was on within 5mins but the back was a different story..
Trying to get it just right was a mission.The stays need to be a little longer to give more room for adjustment so it was a case getting the guards as close as possible to the tyre without any rubbing.
Because the rear guard only goes back to the rear brake caliper the guards seem to flex backwards and forwards which again cause tyre rub.
I've managed now to get the sweet spot but I've ended up with a mudguard that now rattles against the rear brake caliper..
I was seriously thinking of cutting 1½ inch of it in a moment of madness but thought better of it.
Instead I butchered an old rubber bike light band and used it as a cushion between the two.
If you do consider these I recommend you use cable ties to secure the anchor points as they help take the flex out of them..

Tonight as the weather is not to good I decided to fit my new SKS Raceblades pro xl guards.
The blurb says they can be fitted quickly and easily and off you go ( or something to those words)
Well ,I must be lacking in something because it took me an hour and half fussing and farting around with them.
The front mudguard fits perfectly and was on within 5mins but the back was a different story..
Trying to get it just right was a mission.The stays need to be a little longer to give more room for adjustment so it was a case getting the guards as close as possible to the tyre without any rubbing.
Because the rear guard only goes back to the rear brake caliper the guards seem to flex backwards and forwards which again cause tyre rub.
I've managed now to get the sweet spot but I've ended up with a mudguard that now rattles against the rear brake caliper..
I was seriously thinking of cutting 1½ inch of it in a moment of madness but thought better of it.
Instead I butchered an old rubber bike light band and used it as a cushion between the two.
If you do consider these I recommend you use cable ties to secure the anchor points as they help take the flex out of them..

I feel better about giving the lbs £25 to fit mine now

Top Bottom