Mudguard sizing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Does anybody have any experience in this area? For a bike with 700x38mm offroad tyres. Will a 42mm mud guard be too tight?

Chris S

Legendary Member
We've had a similar thread before. The mudguard needs to be slightly wider than the tyre. So long as there is a 2mm gap between each side of the tyre and the forks then a 42mm mudguard will be just right.

I think 42 might be a bit snug for a 38mm tyre, 45 would be better.
Very definitely. No way would i try to fit the 42, especially for something which is being used offroad. I think the general idea is that guards should be 10mm wider than the widest tyre you will fit.

Lovacott

Über Member
Very definitely. No way would i try to fit the 42, especially for something which is being used offroad. I think the general idea is that guards should be 10mm wider than the widest tyre you will fit.
I bought my mudguards via Amazon during lockdown. There wasn't much available for my 27.5 x 2.1 tyres. They only cost 20 quid and were supposed to be for "wide" wheels 26" to 28".

They were easy to fit but were very snug to the tyres and would chafe as I rode on bumpy ground. I've managed to splay them out a bit using a hot air paint stripper.

Now that bike parts are more readily available, I wouldn't mind getting hold of a proper full set which is made for my tyre size.

1604125215317.png

Top Bottom