Mudguards or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GruB

I totally agree that mudguards are a courtesy. They are also very good for keeping you drier than without them. I used to commute on my TCR Hybrid with SKS Race Blades and then I upgraded to a winter frame with eyelets so got a proper set of guards. What a difference.
I ride that bike all winter and have upgraded it gradually to a decent machine. It is steel and heavier than my best bike but then at this time of year you can't hoon into or out of the corners or you'll be on your arse or face.
Horses for courses. Perhaps keep the Hewitt and use it for audaxes in the poorer weather but get the other for nice days when you wanna fly and enjoy yourself.

gavintc

Guru
A compact 50/34 allied to a 12-27 cassette gives you a pretty good range of gears similar to a triple. I use this on my sportive bike and have never been unable to get up a slope.

WRT mudguards, I agree that their main benefit is keeping your bum dryer and therefore more cafe friendly. But having followed some wheels in the wet this morning, there was not much difference in spray from the mudguard or no mudguard wheels. Both gave me a nice cold shower.

GruB

On one of the rides last year I was getting sprayed from a guarded bike in front but then it was rather wet and we were into a head wind. Normally though a lot of the water is dispersed. I found that without guards my feet / overshoes have to work overtime to keep dry.

Rapples

Guru
Personally, I think you could do a lot worse that the Ribble winter bike. Often have great deals has mudguards Alu frame and carbon forks, and you can spec a triple. The only audaxes I normally do are the Stevenage ones, I did the 210km on my Ribble last year (no mudguard version but very similar I think) with no problems. I also saw quite a few of the winter ones being used.

It should be sufficiently different to your current bike, and you'll have plenty of change to spent on malt based energy drinks:tongue:

Top Bottom