Mudguards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
I currently have 3/4 length guards on my hybrid bike with 700c x 40 wheel / tyre set up but I'm fed up with the brown splatter up me back and wet feet.
Can anyone recommend a set of full guards please, preferably black.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
SKS guards are the ones. You can get them in black. Have a look at Wiggle.

got them, and it took no end of messing about and bad language to fit them. and i'm not too chuffed that i will need to change the front tyre as it rubs under the front guard at anything over 80psi.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
[QUOTE46352]
SKS guards are the ones. You can get them in black. Have a look at Wiggle.

got them, and it took no end of messing about and bad language to fit them. and i'm not too chuffed that i will need to change the front tyre as it rubs under the front guard at anything over 80psi.[/QUOTE]

Try fitting a pair of Halfords full guards and you'll love the SKS ones.

I don't think any full guards are easy to fit. I stabbed myself in the thumb badly fitting some SKS guards once. But once they're on I find them great.[/QUOTE]
they look ok now they're on (black guards on a black bike). a bit of trimming of the excess brackety bit might be in order too.

Tynan

Veteran
got an ancient pair and they're still going strong on their second bike after some serious commuter mileage and time

I reckon they're 15 years old and have done 20k odd miles, once they're right they're great, the odd bend does mean some tweaking and adjusting, the LBS man kindly put some little rubber caps on the ends of the wire arms which should save on scratched legs for a while

full mudguards are no brainers for the road, I laugh at anything else, doubly so in the wet

Danny

Legendary Member
Tynan said:
got an ancient pair and they're still going strong on their second bike after some serious commuter mileage and time

I reckon they're 15 years old and have done 20k odd miles...

Wow! Mine only seem to last a few years before the metal bracket bits come away from the mudguard, and/or the plastic starts cracking.

Totally agree about the difficulty in fitting mudguards - you need to be in a very calm mood, set aside half a day, and have plenty of cups of tea as you go along. Or get your LBS to do it for you!

Tynan

Veteran
yes, one of the clips, the middle rear to the upper bolt is on it's third patch but it's all very low tech stuff, as long as the mudguard itself is whole the fittings are only bits of metal and some wire

I remeber how long I spent in the shop sucking on my teeth and debating whether they were worth it too, the man in the shop tried to move me up to what he called 'proper mudguards', german and very smart but £45, £25 was my entire budget at the time

longers

Legendary Member
I'm glad I wasn't alone in finding mudguard fitting a slightly frustrating experience. Mine was slightly worse as not all the fittings were there and a bit of improvisation was needed.

They're my first pair and it's absolutely fantastic to have them on. Wouldn't do without them on a commuting or touring bike.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I hate mudguards, but they've gone on the MTB for commuting. The zefal ones were pretty easy to fit, although a junior hacksaw is needed for the stays and some bolts were a little too long, but robbing the parts bin in the garage soon sorted that. Just essential for keeping the crap off when commuting - it's not a big deal when out training as a washing machine is available straight after the ride.

Top Bottom