Mudguards....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paulmac

Looking at the weather we are getting at the minute, when i move house and start to ride to work im thinking im going to need to do the SENSIBLE thing and fit full length mudguards to my hybrid. Although personally i think they look awful they do a job and do it well. Anyone recommend any to fit to my felt hybrid? my bike is like a charcoal grey so im thinking probably black is the way to go rather than shiny chrome or silver ones..

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Never under stood what the fuss was about mudguards, but then I regard the bicycle as practical transport and not use a toy to be played with when the weather is nice. Black is probably the way to go, but without seeing your bike it is hard to say... ;)

OP
OP
paulmac

paulmac

i just seen a bike in the winter hack thread, with some crud racer mud guards on, they looked ok and they just clip on?? anyone let me know how these actually fit on to your bike and are they suitable for a hybrid or just road bikes?

Tynan

Veteran
all or nothing imho, spend money on a quality pair that fit tight and firm and let the shop fit them, you can leave them on and forget about them rather than be endlessly adjusting them and catching things on them

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Got to say I think fitting mudguards is pretty trivial in my opinion so long as you have a modicum of mechanical knowledge. All the mudguards I've fitted I've never had trouble with -if you're comfortable doing it yourself, save yourself that money!

fyi: the biggest downside I've found with mudguards is not so much commuting but touring. A real PITA when you have to take them off the bike, pack the bike, go to the airport, get the bike at your destination airport, put them back on.....

all or nothing imho, spend money on a quality pair that fit tight and firm and let the shop fit them, you can leave them on and forget about them rather than be endlessly adjusting them and catching things on them

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Never under stood what the fuss was about mudguards, but then I regard the bicycle as practical transport and not use a toy to be played with when the weather is nice. Black is probably the way to go, but without seeing your bike it is hard to say... ;)

Bravo!

Strick

I have recently 'commuterised' my bike. Full length mudguards, rack and a top bag thingy.
Anyway, not really had any rain since (see they're working!!), but the roads were particularly wet one morning last week, and my feet stayed nice and dry. I'm converted!

tyred

Legendary Member
Unless you are actually racing, I just don't understand why you wouldn't have mudguards on your bike.

lejogger

Guru
Unless you are actually racing, I just don't understand why you wouldn't have mudguards on your bike.

If you're going to cycle all year round, then they're just essential on a day-to-day bike. I always have one bike on the go with them fitted.

Can't go wrong with the SKS Chromoplastics. Any colour as long as it's black.

Glow worm

Legendary Member

Yes same here. I can't afford to bin loads of ruined clothes from all the crud and oil that spins up from an unguarded wheel. With regards to fitting them- it must be a doddle as even I, king of the cack handed, have fitted plenty with no probs.

D

Deleted member 1258

I'll be putting a set of these on my winter build,
http://www.leisurela...d.aspx?&id=1980
Had to do it this way as link button seems to be playing up, or could be my browser!

[EDIT] I use the MK1's Cruds as a temporary fix on my best bike, but I could never get the MK2 version to fit right tbh.

I like them, the ones on my pearson are four years old and starting to look a bit tatty, I recon a pair of them will do as a replacement. I've just put a pair of these Raleigh Airlite Raceguards
http://www.rutlandcy...-Raceguard.html
on my Kilmeston, very flimsy and with far to many fiddly small parts, I don't think they are going to be long lived, but they look ok.

Top Bottom