Multi-million pound cycling scheme set to bring traffic-free paths to Wakefield and walking routes in Calderdale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Multi-million pound cycling scheme set to bring traffic-free paths to Wakefield and walking routes in Calderdale

There's only a couple of routes mentioned so I'll have to try and find out some more info.

One of the routes from the Armsley Marina to Cooper Bridge could be a good alternative to road into Huddersfield, I've never liked cycling on it as it has a shocking surface.

I hope they also improve the towpaths from Cooper Bridge in both directions towards Mirfield and Brighouse as it'll really help link up some of the good but disconnected greenways in the area.

DRM

Guru
That looks very interesting, just hope it actually comes off

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
I hope so. Cooper Bridge mentioned in it is horrific to cycle through on the roads. I'll take any option to avoid it!

Reactions: DRM

classic33

Leg End Member
Some of the local, to me, schemes are now in doubt. Others have been quietly dropped, with no reasons given.

One cycle route would have taken you past the local recycling centre(Lee Bridge), onto a private site* contaminated with asbestos, and onto Old Lane. The exit/entrance onto Old Lane was never clear. The exit from Old Lane onto the A629 involved crossing the road itself to access the cycle lane. Switching sides at the Shay Lane junction, before the traffic lights. HGV's have problems on/at this junction. How would a cyclist cope?
This route was chosen because the recycling centre was going to be rebuilt just off Shay Lane. That has now been quietly dropped, so Lee Bridge stays operative. But the planned route lingered on.

*The mill on the land is up for conversion to flats again. With planning permission having been gained.

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
Yes it’s a shocker, Mirfield can be a bit of a white knuckle ride through to Dewsbury

Ravensthorpe is actually better when it's busy with traffic - everything is so slow.
Some of the local, to me, schemes are now in doubt. Others have been quietly dropped, with no reasons given.

One cycle route would have taken you past the local recycling centre(Lee Bridge), onto a private site* contaminated with asbestos, and onto Old Lane. The exit/entrance onto Old Lane was never clear. The exit from Old Lane onto the A629 involved crossing the road itself to access the cycle lane. Switching sides at the Shay Lane junction, before the traffic lights. HGV's have problems on/at this junction. How would a cyclist cope?
This route was chosen because the recycling centre was going to be rebuilt just off Shay Lane. That has now been quietly dropped, so Lee Bridge stays operative. But the planned route lingered on.

*The mill on the land is up for conversion to flats again. With planning permission having been gained.
You'll have to point that on a map to me sorry, I know a little of the A629 when it meets the he Aldi/Morrisons/McDonald's shopping area.

The Dewsbury Recycling centre is already near an existing Greenway, perhaps this a common theme!

classic33

Leg End Member
Ravensthorpe is actually better when it's busy with traffic - everything is so slow.

You'll have to point that on a map to me sorry, I know a little of the A629 when it meets the he Aldi/Morrisons/McDonald's shopping area.

The Dewsbury Recycling centre is already near an existing Greenway, perhaps this a common theme!
Get Dean Clough, just underneath the flyover at North Bridge, then follow the roads either side of it up the valley. Lee Bridge is at the far end, and will remain in use. The A629 is above it, vertically

DRM

Guru
*The mill on the land is up for conversion to flats again. With planning permission having been gained

That will be Holdsworth’s old place, where they wove the fabric for bus/train seats, iirc it was built around 1847 ish , better flats than being demolished, the A629 as I remember is quite a steep drag into Halifax

Jameshow

Veteran
I hope so. Cooper Bridge mentioned in it is horrific to cycle through on the roads. I'll take any option to avoid it!

It's the m62 roundabout that's the worst for me a real nightmare to get across!!

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
It's the m62 roundabout that's the worst for me a real nightmare to get across!!

Junction 25? Absolutely awful, I avoid it by going through Clifton and Hartshead. Very hilly but I feel safer.

Also the 33 casualties in 5 years signs, have been there for more than 10 years🤔

Get Dean Clough, just underneath the flyover at North Bridge, then follow the roads either side of it up the valley. Lee Bridge is at the far end, and will remain in use. The A629 is above it, vertically
I know where you mean now I think. I've driven up that road but never rode it, I have used the A58 between Halifax and Stump Cross which is pretty bad.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
*The mill on the land is up for conversion to flats again. With planning permission having been gained

That will be Holdsworth’s old place, where they wove the fabric for bus/train seats, iirc it was built around 1847 ish , better flats than being demolished, the A629 as I remember is quite a steep drag into Halifax
There's trouble at t'mill!
Wrong mill, former Canal Dye Works is the one. The other side of Halifax.

Reactions: DRM

classic33

Leg End Member
Junction 25? Absolutely awful, I avoid it by going through Clifton and Hartshead. Very hilly but I feel safer.

Also the 33 casualties in 5 years signs, have been there for more than 10 years🤔

I know where you mean now I think. I've driven up that road but never rode it, I have used the A58 between Halifax and Stump Cross which is pretty bad.
There's a possibility that the road going off Godley Bank, road out of Halifax, will become a dual cycle lane. Meaning if you're cycling into Halifax, you'll have to cross at one of the worst parts of the road just before the bend under the bridge.

Jameshow

Veteran

Yes j25 done it a few times very fast roundabout.

Top Bottom