Multi-Use Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lewjamben

Hi guys. I was wondering if I could pick your brains:

The standard tyres on my bike have about had it. They are 700x28 622. They are suitable for no more than road riding, but my fiancee wants me to go cycling with her on her MTB on gravel paths. So I'm after some tyres which will be a good compromise so I can still commute on the road with confidence.

So far I've looked at:
Schwalbe Marathon,
Schwalbe Marathon Plus,
Continental Touring Plus

I'm not sure if these are too off-roady, but I'd like to hear your suggestions and recommendations please. Budget is around £40 for the pair.

Many thanks in advance.

rusky

CC Addict
The Marathons aren't off roady & should be fine on gravel. You'll have less puncures with the M+!

Hicky

Guru
I use 32's armadillos on my sirrius along the Rochdale canal which is a mixture of gravel/ mud/ paved and glass.....not had a puncture yet although I'm due one as my pump has broke :wacko:

Evil Rabbit

After various advice (some good stuff from here) I have fitted my two bikes with Marathons: one with Marathon Plus and the other, a CX bike, with Marathon Extreme Evolution - I commute on both, road, park and canal paths. Both are good on the road and gravel canal paths. If I was doing gravel paths with occasional road I would go with the Extreme Evos and if it was more the other way round, the Plus. I suspect if you are following her on her MTB, the Extreme Evos would be more suitable.

http://www.wiggle.co...ding-road-tyre/

OP
OP
lewjamben

lewjamben

It looks like the M+ gets the vote then! Thanks a lot guys.
I've found them cheapest at Discount Cycles Direct. Has anyone had experience with these?

Cheers again.

rusky

CC Addict
Top Bottom