Multiple bike positions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I used a pair of clip on tri bars last year for a triathlon and am looking at buying a reversible seatpost and tt saddle to swap at will with my current seatpost and saddle. I'll look at the saddle height and how far forward using bike fit angles in a DIY attempt at comfort verses aero. My concern now is how much to train in each position. Once set up should I ride exclusively with the TT setup or shoud I do long Sunday run outs (up to 50 miles which is long for me) in my current setup? Is it OK to switch between the two at will and build up the distance in the new TT position but still be able to go out for the longer rides in my current road bike position. My mail concern is not causing an injury jumping into the new position full time and going for forty to fifty mile rides.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
If you are set up correctly, the TT possition shouldnt be hugely different to your road possition. It should be near the same possition only tilted forward around your hip joint. So, if you havent done something silly and closed your hip angle up then you should be fine to ride mostly in road possition with only specific training in the TT possition.

You may not need a reversible seat post if you slam the saddle right forward and ride on the nose. It depends on the bike geometry.

OP
OP
G

Ghost Donkey

Thanks for that.

if you havent done something silly and closed your hip angle up then you should be fine to ride mostly in road position

This is the effect I currently have by just adding the tri bars which proved not too comfortable. I only used it cruising on the flat and downhills where I didn't need to get the power down or breath heavily.

I'm planning on moving up and forward a bit. I'll try this with my current seat stem when I buy a TT saddle at the weekend and see how much length there is in the saddle rails. Looking at the reversible seat posts there isn't a huge gain to be made but it may be the extra gain I need. I'll see when I have the saddle.

Top Bottom