Multiple hit-and-run, horrific circumstances

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
The post I saw elsewhere stated cyclist , I checked out the usual sources but nothing , that is why I was asking if anyone else had heard anything , apparently not a cyclist , but still horrific regardless

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Police announce that two of the four drivers have been tracked down and investigations continue into tracing the other two bar stewards.
I'm putting my money on the 'bag of rubbish' defence.

http://news.met.police.uk/news/upda...ollowing-fatal-collision-in-tulse-hill-285277

Which I take to mean you think they will say they hit a bag of rubbish.

They need to be careful about that because while it may be a defence to leaving the scene of an accident, it does rather suggest they were not paying close attention if they confused a 29-year-old woman with a bin bag.

Which in turn puts them in line for death by careless driving, or at least careless driving.

I say that because they will each probably be desperately trying to avoid responsibility for killing her.

"I might have clipped her trailing arm/leg, but it must have been one of the other drivers whose vehicle struck the fatal blow."

raleighnut

Legendary Member

They need to be careful about that because while it may be a defence to leaving the scene of an accident, it does rather suggest they were not paying close attention if they confused a 29-year-old woman with a bin bag.

Which in turn puts them in line for death by careless driving, or at least careless driving.

I say that because they will each probably be desperately trying to avoid responsibility for killing her.

"I might have clipped her trailing arm/leg, but it must have been one of the other drivers whose vehicle struck the fatal blow."
At least they seem to have found the first lorry driver, that's a start.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

Stranger things have happened. You only have to recall the case of Michael Mason where the defence of the driver who killed him was simply her complete failure to see the victim directly in front of her, on a well-lit street and on a legally illuminated bicycle. In any reasonable view, that ought to have been sufficient for a conviction too.

I also worry how difficult it will be to establish to the jury's satisfaction which driver caused the fatal injuries and therefor who should be regarded as responsible for the death. Was she dead before the second driver hit her or later? Even if the fatal injuries can't be attributed to a particular driver, it introduces reasonable doubt.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Nor do we know what the police know.

At the risk of reading too much into the press release, the Met is saying lorry driver A has been 'released under investigation' and car driver B was arrested on suspicion of causing death by careless driving.

The sequence of collisions has not been released or the direction in which everyone was travelling.

Top Bottom