multitool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Young Un

are there any multitools for about 15 pounds or less that are imperial instead of metric because my bike is a giant and so all the metric size things wont fit.

so calling all giant owners - which multitool do u use

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Well what i did was get one cheap from B&Q for £1, which soon fell to peices. So, i reckoned to save weight i would just have the 2 main keys in there, and one fits into the other as the handle. Perfect.:becool:
Not completely recommended though.

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

i think all i need is the allen key for :

the bolt through the top of the fork

the stem bolts

seat adjustments

brake adjustment - to adjust the cable.

i will go out later and see wt sizes they are and hopfully if will only be two sizes

Joe24

Only two i found.
I dont bother with the one for moving the seat forward/back. Once i got mine right, i just leave it.
Stem and seat post bolt are the same. Top disc and the cable holder for brakes are the same. Brake pads are the same as the stem.
Although the bike shop told me that i needed to carry loads more, i dunno seems like too much weight to me;)
:becool:

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

but u doint really - like i aint got the knowledge to adjust my derailers and stuff on a ride and i doubt ill ever avtually use em - but u never know.

i think i might just carry a couple of allen keys, and a couple of power links, two tubes, tyre levers

Joe24

For brakes, you do alter them i find. I've been going along and thought i needed to do something to the brakes. It started to annoy me:wacko:
Its true though, you do never know. And the time that you go out without the stuff, you will need them. Which is why you should never go out with out a spare tube and a pump, as i found out.:becool:

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Mrs A has a Giant and my usual multi tool fits everything on that and my Cannondale and Pinnacle. Everything is metric AFAIK.

goo_mason said:
+1 for the Topeak Hexus 16. I use one on my Giant SCR2.
+ another 1 for the Topeak Hexus. Ive been using one for circa 3 years and I've found it very good robus and compact. Only slight problem, after 3 year of abuse one of the nobbly bits on the tyre lever has worn down so it sometimes comes detached from the main tool. If I was to buy another one again I'd go for another.

LLB

Young Un said:
but u doint really - like i aint got the knowledge to adjust my derailers and stuff on a ride and i doubt ill ever avtually use em - but u never know.

i think i might just carry a couple of allen keys, and a couple of power links, two tubes, tyre levers

Any adjustment you need to make to a dérailleur should be done on the finger wheel nut where the cable runs in to the mechanism on it. If it starts to step between the gears when indexing, it is just because the cable is stretching a bit.

As for imperial allen keys, you still have some industry in Redditch (needlemakers & Alluna (B.A. Tubes) IIRC) so must have some companies there who supply tools and fixings individually. Failing that, get down the car boot sales as people always seem to be getting rid of old tools (imperial) and you should be able to get what you want for pennies.

Top Bottom