Multitools

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
I havnt seen much about these lately and wondered if anyone can recomend one,i remember looking at them years ago and thinking that i would still need my tool roll under my saddle,any recomendations for a good one that does most jobs?cheers.

they seem to change all the time... Cool Tool was THE one to have a few years back... now most tool companies/bike makers have their own. think mine is a minoura, but can't remember.

to be honest, get a reputable brand one from your local shop... go in and ask them what one has the requisite allen keys and screwdrivers.

best get a separate chain tool, unless anyone knows of a good multi-tool with a chain splitter. the one multi-tool i did have with a chain splitter broke after the first go at fixing a chain.

it sometimes helps to get quite a hefty one too... for really getting a good hit when things get tense... useful for brakes that won't align, gears out of index, buckled wheels, annoying dogs, powerbar wrappers that won't open... generally times when you need to hit something hard. :eek:

L

redfox

I use a Topeak Alien II, it is a bit heavy, but has a ton of stuff on it including a fairly decent chain tool which has been used in anger several times now (stopping to help others thankfully).

Edit: Yay! Fifty posts, took me two years on c+

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Thanks guys,i found the wiggle site and have been looking at them,i dont know if any of you did or do this,but i used to carry a small set of pliers with me too,handy to get hold of something when the finger tips were freezing,not that they were needed often,just something i did.

redfox

I have been known to curse the want of a pair of pliers in the past, mainly when trying to zip tie things back in place on tour. Never actually carried a pair though. Hmmmm, I am off on tour tomorrow.. yet another darned thing to pack possibly.

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Are there any with a small set of pliers on,i havnt found any while searching,but maybe someone knows of one?just saves having a pair in my bag.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
you could use a leatherman, but its not much of a multitool for bikes.
If you need pliers. a leatherman plus a multitool is what you are going to have to carry.

Just out of interest, what do you need pliers for?

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
I once used them to pull a cable that had fraid through the outer,tried with my fingers first but got stabbed with a sticking out bit,always took them with me after that,also to tighten a small nut that i didnt have a spanner for on the rear derailers.

I looked at the leathermens,but good as they are,like you say not suited to bikes,and would defeat the object of the multi if i had both.looks like ill keep putting my little pliers in my bag :eek:

The CooTool was the best of the lot, but unfortunately you can't get them any more. For long tours, the best solution is to fill a wide necked drinking bottle with proper tools (full size Allen keys, whatever spanners you need, and so on) and put it in the lower down tube bottle cage, if you have one.
I've got a multitool you can have if you want it Col. PM me and I'll post it to you.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Probably the most useful thing you can do is to consider tool requirements whenever replacing any components of your bike, so it evolves into a minimum tools state.
Once that's done, you are probably best off with the appropriate selection of proper tools rather than a multitool. They will work better, and probably be as light, if not lighter. The downside is the risk of losing one and needing it later.

Tools I took on my last tour:
L-shaped bar (approx size of 7mm allen) with a screwdriver bit holder at each end, and 2,3,4,5,6,8 allen bits, flat and phillips bits, T?? torx bit, 8mm socket bit. (holder comes with Victorinox Swiss Tool, but occasionally available separately)
Park small chain tool
8 & 10mm ring spanner
hypercracker
spokey
tyre levers
small Leatherman (Juice CS4 - nothing vital, but pliers/wire cutters, corkscrew/bottle opener, scissors, knife)

Didn't take, but may be required if the worst happens:
Cone spanners

No point in BB or headset removal tools unless spares also carried

(I generally use an Alien for club /day rides, on account of it being harder to lose)

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Rhythm Thief said:
The CooTool was the best of the lot, but unfortunately you can't get them any more. For long tours, the best solution is to fill a wide necked drinking bottle with proper tools (full size Allen keys, whatever spanners you need, and so on) and put it in the lower down tube bottle cage, if you have one.
I've got a multitool you can have if you want it Col. PM me and I'll post it to you.

mighty generous of you, ill pm,cheers :tongue:

domtyler

Über Member
I've still got my CoolTool! It lives in my desk drawer at work just inches from my elbow as I type. It has everything you could need and during my student days was my entire tool collection.

The Multitool I use most often now is the plain Park Tools one, it only has two screwdriver heads and four allen keys on it, but that's good for 99% of emergencies.

Top Bottom