Muppet driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I came across a right muppet yesterday. Driving whilst talking on his phone when I shouted to him to get off the phone he got verbal. When I took my helmet cam off the handlebars and pointed it at him he got rid of the phone very quickly though, LOL!

I think I also saw him drinking a beer from a can, and sadly it doesn't show in the video. I'm not sure though, but it was a tall can so not so perhaps not so likely to be a fizzy drink. I also annoyingly didn't remember his registration as I would have called the police there and then.

He came past me on the Vauxhall gyratory, and shouted something about me riding with one hand (when I filmed him). Silly twit, when he did this he was driving with one hand, he had his cigarette in his right hand and hanging out the window.

I've phoned drinking drivers in to the police. Would do it again without hesitation. Scum.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Please don't take this as my supporting the driver, that's not what I'm doing.......

Unfortunately in this country, we have a limit for drink driving. I don't say unfortunately because i think u should be able to drink more, but because I think it should be a zero limit.......

But given that you are allowed to have some small amount of drink, and given that it's not illegal to have a can (of fanta, for example) on the go while driving, what does it matter if that can is the one beer you're drinking that day?

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
It's a good point, I've no argument with that. I'd still have shopped him if I'd remembered the number, because I think the chances are that it wasn't just one beer.[1]

Morally I'm also a zero limit person, and I don't believe in using a phone whilst driving even if it is handsfree. Both have been shown to be foolish behaviour.

[1] Maybe this is a good argument for getting magnatom's archos setup, because then I'd have been able to review the video right there.

skwerl

it is actually illegal to have a can of something on the go. That also includes a sandwich, burger, fag, mobile phone etc. The recent change in law re mobiles extends to any hand-held object that interferes with safe driving. I remember reading about a sales rep who got a major fine a few months ago after Police stopped him driving with a sarnie in one hand (probably driving like an arse as well but it was the sarnie that provided the coup de grace)

I think mobile phones have been specifically legislated, but having anything else in your hands whilst driving which would affect your ability to drive safely and securely (i.e. steer with one hand and change gear wit hthe other) have always been illegal.

Pete

I've discovered (actually as a result of reading an article in our local paper) that our local police force (Sussex) now has a web page called 'operation crackdown' in which ordinary members of the public can report just this sort of behaviour. Not tried it myself, so I don't know how effective it will be. It seems from the article that 'using a handheld while driving' qualifies for being reported. Perhaps other police forces have set up something similar?

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
jonathan ellis said:
Can I have a look at you camera Mikey
I kinda want one I think

are you at your usual spot tonight?

No, day off, sorry! I'll be there at the weekend, and probably Tues/Weds/Thurs evening next week.

Top Bottom