Muppet Trauma

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Disney is now offering trigger warnings for old repeats of The Muppet Show which contain scenes of racism, sexism and specism which are now considered incorrect.
Have any dear readers been triggered or traumatised by any muppet related activity?
For me, the banana boat song by Harry Bellafonte came with no warning of arachnid activity.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
1613993601122.png

:unsure:

When I was a lad I used to work the summers in my local Butlins in Minehead. One year, Roland Rat (eeeeehhh, Rat Fans!) came to camp to record a show. For the outdoors sections, where Roland was chatting by the pool or buying an ice cream etc., the producers made absolutely no attempt to disguise the fact that Roland was controlled by a bearded man with his hand up his arse. Cue several distraught, traumatised toddlers with parents desperately trying to calm them down and explain.

Never meet your heroes, eh? :laugh:

gbb

Legendary Member
Y'know, I was only just saying to my wife...its a sad world we live in now think back 30 years ago, you'd never believe things could sink so low.
I'm actually offended that I'm not offended.

Drago

Legendary Member
How long before The Simpsons gets such a warning hecause Homer strangles Bart?

A whole generation of kids is going to reach adulthood believing everthing offensive or upsetting will be preceded by a polite warning. An entire generation who'll suffer pschological issues as theyll be unable to correctly process real life angst and trauma. If Hitler was ever thinking about rising from the dead and having another go, then any time in the next few years would be just dandy for his purposes.

Not forgetting the terror when Winnie the Pooh became stuck in Rabbit’s burrow entrance (I stopped myself from saying “in rabbit’s hole”). The trauma of that peril, coupled with the implied criticism of obesity and overeating has never left me

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Speedy Gonzales comes with a warning from (rather aptly) Warner Brothers if you watch in the US, to the effect that it was written in an era with certain outdated attitudes to racial stereotypes. Many of the "Mexican" mice are of course depicted as being fond of a daytime snooze.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Tom and Jerry would need a warning too. Some of them feature an African American maid straight out of 'Gone with The Wind'.

Last edited:
Top Bottom