Muscians with hearing damage, am I being too harsh?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Talking purely from a musicians point of view for a second....one of the main reasons why guitarists in particular played so loud was to get a decent tone from theguitar amps...amps like a Marshall plexi for example were cranked to full to drive the valves into overdrive distortion which gave the rock tone we all came to expect. That was the 60's/70's. These days rechnology has moved on incredibly, master volume, Pre amp power amp rigs and amp modelling technology has allowed guitarists to get good tone at bedroom or headphone levels.
The loudest thing in a rock band should be the drummer.

Thats on stage volume...what happens out front via the desk is down to the engineer, but if he gets it right in terms of the venue size, acoustics, etc the days of silly high volume gigs shoukd be gone.

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
Its not just music. There very load PA systems at sporting events, country shows where poeple comentry and have have to shout and scream at the top of their voices. Then there is those load motorbikes, aircraft noise, traffic noise, train noise, noises from DIY machinary such as strimmers and lawnmowers,
If you work in large exhibition halls with clattering tables and metal framework or the stands falling on the concrete floor, this can be extremely load as they echo around the hall. Even people voices, babies crying, groups shreiking girls can be painful on the ears. So load noise is almost a symptom of the modern industrial high tech age and there is seemingly no way of getting away from it. I believe sooner or later a medication or or some form of treatment will be available for tinnitus if there is money to be made from it.
There is lots of cases of people having tinnitus who didn't ever go to concerts or nightclubs and it may just be a genetic thing.

FWIW I suffer with degenerative hearing loss which can only be put down to excessive music volume in my younger years. I worked in hotels for 8 years, (discos, jukeboxes etc most nights). I also never went anywhere without my walkman, FFS I even used to to go bed with it on. I used to spend a fortune on AA batteries, (thank you auto reverse!).

Anyhoo, mine was 'officially' picked up when I started my present job as we have an annual hearing test due to the use of power tools in the workshop. In the 10 years I've worked there it initially gradually worsened, although now my age has caught up a bit so it's not regarding as quite as bad now, but it'll never recover, once it's gone it's gone, that's it!

The problem I have mainly is filtering noise. I can forget having a conversation in a loud environment, (pub/party etc), and I struggle sometimes to pick up what my Daughter says because of the higher pitch of her voice, and I'm forever having to get things repeated.

I still attend the occasional concert, but I ALWAYS wear ear plugs these days. They don't take anything away from a concert experience IMO, yet they could prevent you from loss of hearing in the future, no brainer? I should say so.

BTW, I'm 39 years old! So any of you young 'uns reading this, heed the advice and protect your ears, after all you only get one pair.

pepecat

I work in a concert venue (classical, mainly) and we were given earplugs when we started there, but i hardly ever see people wearing them. Some concerts are amplified (and can be pretty loud - well, to me anyway!), but even the classical ones can produce a decent amount of noise. There's no compulsion to wear earplugs though - it's up to us to do so if we find it loud.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
A bit like the Rolling Stones whose Roundhay Park gig I attended from the comfort of my back garden three and a half miles away. Heard every word and note perfectly.

Poor you.... I'd have had to go somewhere where I could no longer hear the noise.

I damaged my hearing with permanent threshold shift from driving my old beetle for too long without a break... Going from Dundee to Leeds without stopping, I would arrive unable to hear the car engine or anyone talking normally.

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
my local biker's club is the bleeding ears club...

i listen to a lot of rock and metal, i have done for years at excessive volumes, i've been to concerts and felt my chest vibrate with the bass and drums (oh man what concerts!) i do have some issues with my hearing, i do a fair few open mic nights too and actually small clubs/pubs are the worst, PA systems have to be cranked to get over the crowd etc and some nights i get ringing ears.
i'll be honest i don't always wear earplugs but i really should be doing.
i will say i bloody hate these in ear headphones tho, silly and stupid for volume levels!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
do you ever wonder when an ambulance goes blaring through the town centre at say, 5 miles an hour due to congestion... what exactly is that minute or two of extremely loud siren doing to mine and everybody else's ears?

ps... circa 1997 when seeemingly everyone wanted to be a bedroom dj, I predicted in year's to come we'd have a huge chunk of people with hearing problems in just the one ear (possibly with a cricked neck too)... no idea if there's any signs of it yet.

Top Bottom