Muscle Aches (newly commuting) rest or persevere?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

upandover

Guru
Hi,

I started commuting by bike around a month ago, and am really enjoying it though.

I've gone from cycling the 17mile round trip through the hills of the black country never, to 2-3 times a week and my muscles are paying for it. Not only do they often ache to the touch and when I lie down in bed, but they hurt during the day, mostly towards the end of the week.

I don't object to this, but wonder if they way to improve is to keep on cycling when they get sorer, even if the distances are shorter, or to take a day off cycling to let my legs recover a little.

I'd be pleased for any advice over which would be better in the long time. I know getting fit hurts! - but am keen to find the smoothest route to improvement!

Thanks
Steve

I don't know if it helps or not but when I first started cycling regularly again my legs (in particular thighs and calves). I found a day's rest for me was ideal but any longer, when I went to cycle again = sore legs again.

Slim

Über Member
The best recovery for me was always a shorter distance at a high spin rate (cadence). It was never a miracle cure but seemed to get the knots out of the muscles a bit quicker.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Do you do any stretches after each ride ?
There should be some experts to tell you how to do them but I have found stretching to be the 'magic' which pevents me being stiff 'n' sore that evening/the next day :blush:

domtyler

Über Member
Take a day off. Preferably take the weekend off to relax. After you have been cycling regularly for three months your legs will have more or less stopped aching.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
After 3 years of doing things completely wrong I've found spinning like mental for the first half mile/mile in a very low gear seems to help against soreness.

OP
OP
upandover

upandover

Guru
Thank you guys, these are really helpful replies.

I'm planning to take the weekend off, and to make sure I stretch afterwards. My road is up a hill and I imagine that doing this last (easy hill but very worn out) doesn't help, so may cycle round on the flat for a moment when I get here and see if that helps as well.

I'll have to try that for the first miles or so in the morning. My first three miles are uphill, and they do hurt in the second and third morning!

Thanks

Steve

Get your gearing right. Your leg cadence should be 90rpm or over. Less than that and you're putting extra unnecessary strain on your muscles. Change down a couple of gears and I bet you find it easier.

Welcome to the forum too.

Bodhbh

Guru
Dunno specifically about cycling, but when I was overtraining on swimming just take a few days off, till it stops aching, whatever. Doubt you will loose any fitness gains in that time and mebbe your body can use it. But overall would stick at it, it'll pass soon enuff.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Welcome

Agee with listening to your body, if legs are tired and sore, then take a rest for a few days. It's not a sin.
Warm-up slowly in a low gear, at least first 5-10 mins, do the same towards the end of your ride, slow down and spin a while (5-10 mins) before dismounting. Do a few basic stretches. Drink a milkshake (nesquick)/chocolate milk soon after riding, it's a really cheap but effective recovery product. Keep hydrated.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
As a beginner take it easy - my muscles hurt most of the time - it's something you will get used to, and dealing with lactic acid - I used to suffer from muscle burn loads when I was younger, but as I've got older it's easier - probably a bit more used to dealing with it ! - Commuting is a great way of training the body - if you feel rubbish, up the spin rate and don't push it - it will help clear out any carp !

Bodhbh

Guru
Fab Foodie said:
Drink a milkshake (nesquick)/chocolate milk soon after riding, it's a really cheap but effective recovery product. Keep hydrated.
I used to do weights for a while. One thing that's struck me since getting a bike and reading up on cycling and training is how easygoing cyclists are on the whole sports nutrition thing vs peeps building up muscle bulk. I dunno if it's a purely a cultural thing, or based on the science of what the body needs for strength based exercise vs anerobic or the gymabusers fallen heavily for the marketing of the suppliment industry or what. No expensive protein shakes, unbranched amino acids and creatine...jam sandwiches, nesquick shakes will do. I'm not knocking it! ;)

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Stevesparrow said:
Hi,

I've gone from cycling the 17mile round trip through the hills of the black country never, to 2-3 times a week and my muscles are paying for it. Not only do they often ache to the touch and when I lie down in bed, but they hurt during the day, mostly towards the end of the week.

Hi Steve, i'm in the Black Country too, so know how brutal the hills can be. I would make sure the bike is a very good fit and adjusted correctly, any problem with the size or seat height will crucify your calves and knees.

My commute takes me out of Stourbridge to Bromsgrove where the hills get smaller.
Good luck and keep at it.

Top Bottom