Muscles all wrong for running

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

I went out for a run this morning (my first in ...*mumble*...) and managed around 1/2km before the muscles in the fronts of my thighs started to protest. I finished a 4km circuit, around 1/3rd of which I walked!, but with some discomfort.

I'd like to go running again (if I go out on the bike, I'm out for hours, I want something that takes less time!) so is it just a matter of persevering or are there some stretches or suchlike that I should do prior to going out... just until the legs get used to it again.

yenrod

I feel Yello' you'll have to soldier on thru' as you say.

Running is a hell of lot harder than cycling and i hate it but as you say - its shorter and keeps you in good shape but over a shorter period of time compared to cycling.

Gooch

Hi Yello

You have to remember, this is your first run in how long? I regard myself as being fairly fit. But if I haven't run for 4 weeks or so I have exactly the same problem as you. Of course your muscles will be tight and painful. They are screaming "What the hell are you doing? we're not used to this". Just make sure you have a good long stretching session afterwards and then give yourself 2-3 days before running again. Then eventually your muscles will get used to and you can run everyday...if you want. Don't foget to stretch though.

I hope this helps ;)

col

Legendary Member
A good stretch for the thighs is to kneel with your toes pointing behind you and your heels under your bum, and lean back, carefully untill you start to feel it on the front of your thighs,hold for a few seconds then come back up, repeat 5 to 10 times. when you are used to cycling the muscles used are different to running in as much as you can feel really strange when you start running after a long lay off. Also stand on the spot and raise each knee in turn up and passed your waist, do this for a couple of minutes at first and use it as a warm up before running too, it will help get the muscles used to pull your leg forward while running warmed up.

RedBike

I started running in Jan of this year. Its hard when you've got the fitness from the bike but your legs just aren't used to the pounding they get from running.

I wish I had started off with one of those walk/run schedules, often entitles something like "coach potato to 5km in just 10 weeks".
Given my legs time to adapt before I tried to run any distance.

ChrisKH

Guru
You have to remember also that the muscles you use for cycling do not complement the running ones. You are effectively starting over and unless you keep the cross-training up, the neglected exercise (i.e. running) will be more difficult.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I can only run two or three times a week max before I start picking up injuries- usually hamstrings. However packing a pair of trainers and shorts is a lot easier than packing a bike when I'm away working (lots at the mo) and it can be a good way of seeing a place.

montage

God Almighty
Cycling does contemplate cross country/ trail running - for the uphill parts at least.
At least in my experience it has.

3-IN-One

The problem i,ve got is if I run for about 3 miles a get a sharp pain in the right hand side of my knee and have to pull up,yet if I WERE to recover[3 weeks] and cycle 50 miles.........not a problem

I love running yet the knee wont take it,I,ve been to physio and stetched to my hearts content but still the running a pain in the ass.

Any tips much welcome

montage

God Almighty
Perhaps you need to build up muscle around the knee? Try a wobble board? Worth asking around in a running club (or a running forum if CC cannot provide the answer :smile: )

jimboalee

Swinging a hammer uses different muscles than swinging an axe.

Its nice to be multi-disciplined.

A 'speed march' or Jogging, as it is known, requires about the same calorific expenditure as a moderate bike ride, but uses a different muscle set.

Swimming is more energetic, and uses the upper body more. For Pecs and Lats, a good fast breast-stroke mile is a wonder.

So, all in all, Triathlon training is the way to go, or

http://www.britmilfit.com/

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You really have to build running up, especially if you mainly cycle. I did a couple of winters ago - started out with just a 10 min run (muscle damage) then extended it to a 30 minute hilly one by the time I'd got where I wanted... took a few months though.....

That said, I've not run for 2 years now as I commute by bike.

In a 'doh' moment many years ago - I went out one evening for a long run (having not run for a long time) - probably 5 miles.....lead to a hamstring injury and a fair few visits to a physio to get it 'fixed' before the race season started.... couldn't walk the next day...

Fiona N

Veteran
Since you're likely to be both fit and strong in the quads and calf muscles from cycling, one way to ease into running is to start on uphill dirt or mud. Although it's maybe counter-intuitive, this allows you to use the cycling fitness to get a very good work out while not damaging joints not yet accustomed to the pounding of running.
For example, I've just started running again after a four year break (mainly due to various injuries, both acute and chronic, which needed sorting) and I start with a fairly strenuous uphill walk of about 1km - this takes me from home to the start of some lovely hilly off-road. Once I get to the dirt track (muddy in wet weather - greatly increases the shock absorbing effect of the dirt), I start jogging up a steep hill - gradient is about 20 - 25% for about 800m - and continue on the gentler terrain at the top to recover a bit before running the last climb as quickly as I can. This brings me to the summit cairn from which I walk down back to the road and then either repeat or walk quickly back home on the road. This gives a work out of 40 mins to an hour with about half that time running.
The strenuousness of the running section means that you get an excellent workout in the middle of a longer session and the nature of the uphill offroad work means that you're not slamming your body on flat unrelenting tarmac, so you get the chance to develop the strength control you need for running, which you don't get from cycling - particularly proprioception and balance. The other thing about running uphill is that it teaches you to use your forefoot to land rather than heel-striking, which is what results in so many injuries to runners.

If you're really serious about taking up running, check out POSE running - a technique developed to reduce injuries from bad running technique as well as to increase speed and efficiency. It's much in favour with top triathletes.

The other thing if your joints and muscles feel thrashed after a run is an ice bath. The least masochistic version is just to sit in the bath and let the cold water fill up the bath to cover your legs. In winter the water's cold enough (at least here up north) that ice isn't needed. Sitting there for 5 mins is an absolute killer at the time but the after effect in terms of 'rejuvenation' of the muscles is quite remarkable. You don't have to be Paula Radcliffe to benefit from ice baths :biggrin:

I love cycling but there's nothing to compare with the sense of freedom of running well on off-road trails in fantastic places :smile:

Top Bottom