Music and cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have just been reading an article on a Danish site where a young lady was out jogging with here ear plugs in and listening to music. She crossed the road and did not hear the car coming and it wiped her out big style. She made a full recovery but has learnt her lesson.

They then did a test with cyclists in a studio. They put them on an exercise bike and told them to play their music at their normal level and pedal. They were surrounded by speakers which played different things, sirens, people shouting, horns etc. They had to say when they heard these noises.

I think half of them must have been deaf because there was no reaction to the noises.

So do you listen to music when you ride and would you have passed the above test?

Steve

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman

G-Zero

Über Member
What a brilliant idea, hadn't realised that had been set up.
Now how do we block all posts in that forum??? :laugh:

Likewise, I hadn't realised that had been set up.

Just had a quick look in there and don't think I'll be going back.... It seems to be full of mass debators :stop:

lb81

Weapons of mass debate!!

I will be listening to the 2nd half of chelsea v Barcelona on my way home tonight. Ear phone in one ear only and at low volume. Not something I would normally do though...

martynjc1977

Veteran
I listen to music when on the bike, same as I do in the car. And I have listened to music while cycling since getting my first ever walkman in the late 80's. I have personally never had an issue with it. Now the poor lady who got run over did so because she did not look properly.

I like to ride with an iPod. It seems perfectly safe to me.

My wife hates me doing it. When she sees me coming back into the house with my earphones in, she looks crossly at me and says stuff.

I have no idea what she says, because of the iPod.

Sadly, that story is true. I shall continue to ride with an iPod.

StuartG

slower but further
Deaf people ride bikes too........
Yes, and they well know the dangers of not being able to hear traffic, sirens etc. They have to try and compensate and, anyway, usually have a heightened visual and spatial sense which headphone users may not.

We hearing people until exposed to the deaf world are largely unaware of how extensively we unconsciously use aural cues.

Plus deaf people don't have the option of hearing what's going on around them ... headphone users do.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I have no opinion on whether it is advisable to cycle with headphones in, but are there speakers that you could mount on the bike. The handlebars would be a good place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom