Music and disparate tastes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickM

Veteran
Rhythm Thief said:
... Benjamin Britten (I love his War Requiem)
Have you heard his Sinfonia da Requiem, RT? One of the most shattering pieces of music written in the 20th century. And he was only 26 when he wrote it - but already a fully paid-up genius, even then...

The Hickox recording on Chandos, coupled with the War Requiem, is the one to have; but there are many other good ones, including Andre Previn's and the bargain Naxos CD.

Edit: Oi! it's buggered up my links!! they were all right when I put them in... :?:

No, I heard a programme about the war requiem on Radio 4 and liked the sound of it enopugh to buy the CD. I haven't got around to buying any more yet. The trouble is, there is so much music to buy and when I get an ipod it'll only get worse!

U

User169

NickM said:
Have you heard his Sinfonia da Requiem, RT? One of the most shattering pieces of music written in the 20th century. And he was only 26 when he wrote it - but already a fully paid-up genius, even then...

I quite agree: menace, fury and then consolation. I can't understand why it isn't better known.

(I'm not sure though that any of the recordings you mention would bear up to the Hamshire County Youth Orchestra circa 1988!)

NickM

Veteran
Delftse Post said:
I quite agree: menace, fury and then consolation. I can't understand why it isn't better known.

(I'm not sure though that any of the recordings you mention would bear up to the Hamshire County Youth Orchestra circa 1988!)
Must have been a pretty good youth orchestra, DP! I know what you mean about the music sounding even better from the inside :?:

As a lad in the 70s I was a big Genesis (with PG), and to a lesser extent, Pink Floyd, Yes, Supertramp. They never get a hearing these days!
Then the in the 80s I liked Punk and New Romantic music, but being a rugby/cricket player didn't get the hairstyles! :?:
Having travelled a fair bit I've developed a taste for foreign artists, such as Yanni (Greece), Gypsy Kings, various Australian bands (from the 80s and 90s) and several Scandinavian artists (not A-ha or Aqua) etc.
Now I like anything with a good beat and rhythm, and melody, such as Scooter! :?:

Top Bottom