Music and disparate tastes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
When I was a young chap, in terms of musical taste and allegiance, you had to "be" something. So, in the space of 3 yrs or so, I was a punk, then a rockabilly, then a mod, then a jazz-fiend. (I'm now 45, to give you an idea of the era we're on about). However, as you get older, you obviously find yourself appreciating a wide range of stuff. Here's Thin Lizzy, The Jam and the Stray Cats, from way back when. Then, I couldn't 'marry' them at the same time (one had to replace the other) now all are the business!

What were you when you were younger? How have your tastes changed over the years?

Heh heh good point there. My 'only liking one kind of music' phase only ended last year.

At various times I liked: Goth, then Classical Music, then Indie, then Industrial, then Techno, then prog house and every other form of electronic music that exists, then Alt Country and that pretty much brings me to the present day, where I still like all of the above!

derall

Guru
I've always been an old fuddy-duddy when it comes to music. I went through school to the sound of Glam Rock (primary school), Punk (secondary school), and left school with New Romantics. Didn't much like any of them. I was brought up in a house where the radio was permanently tuned to radio 3, and it was classical music I learned to love - still do, as long as it's loud. Wagner, Bruckner, Mahler is my favourite, though I also like the light baroque of Albinoni, Vivaldi et al.

My tastes are wider now and I like the Celtic Rock of Peatbog Faeries and Deaf Shepherd, plus the Celtic Fusion of Salsa Celtica and Afro Celtic Sound System. Also listening to - and enjoying - some of the stuff I missed in my youth, like The Who, Clapton, JJ Cale, plus some Country & Western

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
derall] [size=7 said:
plus some Country & Western [/size]
Pardon? The non-sugary end of the scale of C&W is fine by me... related closely to 'Billy, R&R and many types of Americana!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
in my yoof strictly goth (sisters of mercy etc, not the rubbish that gets labelled as goth these days) and alternative.

these days, less goth but more alternative 80s and 90s plus the best of post-punk new wave. oh, and american alternative/new wave band with platinum blond lead singeresses.

i've yet to hear anything in the last few years that doesn't sound like it's been done before.

derall

Guru
Fnaar][quote=derall] [size=1 said:
plus some Country & Western [/size]
Pardon? The non-sugary end of the scale of C&W is fine by me... related closely to 'Billy, R&R and many types of Americana![/quote]

Gram Parsons, Emmilou Harris, Nancy Griffiths and similar I like very much.

The sugar - Dolly Parton, Tammy Winette and the like is utterly dire.

NickM

Veteran
derall said:
...it was classical music I learned to love - still do, as long as it's loud.
Ditto! And you ride a recumbent? You're obviously a very enlightened chap :sad:

I grew up singing, and then playing in youth orchestras after my voice broke. I never liked anything except classical music very much, even though some of my friends did. Pink Floyd and Gentle Giant I thought OK.

My CD collection does now contain a small ghetto of jazz, klezmer and contemporary English folk. Mostly thanks to the excellent Late Junction on R3... which they have now made so late that I don't get to hear it any more :?:

Bruckner rools! Roll on the Proms :?:

derall

Guru
NickM said:
Mostly thanks to the excellent Late Junction on R3... which they have now made so late that I don't get to hear it any more :?:

"Late Junction" is how I discovered Deaf Shepherd and Salsa Celtica :?:.

Best music programme ever.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
It's easier to say what I don't like: C & W (although I did enjoy a song I once heard about giving beer to horses and whisky to men), Opera (mostly tuneless, utterly artificial and you can't understand a bloody word they're saying except for some of the German stuff which tends to be clearer but they're not saying anything worth knowing anyway) and heavy metal (just infantile) and obviously rap.

As for the good stuff: blues, rock, most jazz, a little reggae, classical and odd bits and pieces but most of all bluesy stuff.

col

Legendary Member
This reminded me of the mid seventies,i was a punk too in the stranglers,dickies(remember them?) devo too? blondie,and 999 era,what a great time,then the jam took over with the two tone suits,adam and the ants,omd,bad manners and madness,ah those were the days eh? :?:
:?:

col

Top Bottom