Music and disparate tastes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User169

derall][quote=Fnaar][quote=derall] [size=1 said:
plus some Country & Western [/size]
Pardon? The non-sugary end of the scale of C&W is fine by me... related closely to 'Billy, R&R and many types of Americana![/quote]

Gram Parsons, Emmilou Harris, Nancy Griffiths and similar I like very much.

The sugar - Dolly Parton, Tammy Winette and the like is utterly dire.[/quote]

Nothing wrong with Dolly Parton - try listening to "Little Sparrow" or the "The grass is blue" - hardly sugary.

SamNichols

I'm still a young chap, but Ive always been known to be a remarkably eclectic chap. I listen to the genre known as post-rock mainly, which is my favourite thing in all the world (but most people hate), but then I also love jazz (I had a jazz show on my uni radio station), classical, indie/rock, hip-hop and whatever else takes my fancy. I do find the concept of world music patronising though.

I like absolutely anything, as a rule (except Robbie Williams and Rod Stewart, obviously, and anything that's too mainstream, like The Killers or any of the current rash of similar bands). I like a lot of rap - the lyrics are often very clever and I like the stuff that Plan B does with an acoustic guitar - but I'm also a huge fan of AC/DC with Bon Scott, Tom Waits, the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, the Pixies, James Yorkston, Toots and the Maytalls, Eliza Carthy, Mozart, Benjamin Britten (I love his War Requiem), Sandy Dillon, The Kinks, The Pogues, Cowboy Junjkies, Nick Drake, Eels, James Luther Dickinson, Jethro Tull ... you name it, I like it. :?:

Cranky

First record I ever bought was You Really Got Me by the Kinks (still a classic), then got into Soul, Motown and commercial R&B (in the original sense of the term) like the Spencer Davis Group.

First musical obsession as a teenager was Curved Air, not just because of Sonja Kristina (honest!) but I loved all that synth and guitar improvising by Francis Monkman and the mystique of the electric violin. Then it was the Canterbury lot - Caravan, Hatfield & the North and, best of all, Soft Machine (which is about where all my mates thought I'd lost the plot whereas, of course, I'd found it).

Student days were taken up with British modern jazz, then many years of jazz-funk followed.

Now I can honestly say I appreciate any music if it's well crafted/produced/improvised although nothing gets me quite as excited as some lairy funk or wild post-modern jazz (Acoustic Ladyland, that sort of stuff)!

orkneyblues

Nearly all modern music has its roots in the blues, and blues is where its at.
Don't you think that music is like a big merry-go-round, a bit like fashions keep coming round gain?
P.s.
am I the only one growing his sideys long again?

U

User169

Rhythm Thief said:
I like absolutely anything, as a rule....Benjamin Britten (I love his War Requiem) ... you name it, I like it. :?:

A great work indeed. I was lucky enough to play in a performance of the War Requiem in Norwich Cathedral when I was a student.

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Top stuff Maggot! If you look closely, Secret Affair bassist ans drummer have similar mannerisms to Foxton and Buckler....wonder why? Good song, though.
Here's the Big Sound Authority, from Weller's Solid Bond 'stable'

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
chris42 said:
All of the above but THE band to get into is LEVEL 42!

I'm just putting my helmet on ready for a kicking!!

:?:
Quite like some of their stuff! Why does nobody play slap bass any more?

Top Bottom