(Music) groups and artists you can't believe you never listened to in your youth.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kevberlin

I didn’t appreciate Jimi Hendrix until I hit 60.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
God, so much. Whole genres I didn't listen to when younger- dub for example. Jazz- Albert Ayler, Pharoah Sanders, both Coltranes. Plenty of post punk that passed me by and I only heard later (Young Marble Giants, for example). Just shitloads of stuff. Psych outfits from Thailand, Zambia- the internet made all of this stuff so much easier to find.

Matt Monro,love him now.

My father loved his music so, as a teenager, that was enough for me to think he was crap.

I was so wrong.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
being a teenager for much of the 80s, there was the contemporary music i liked and the stuff i didn't like (it was mostly down to how they looked on TOTP)... a lot of the stuff i hated at the time i liked once it had time to mature... or maybe once I'd had time to mature. I didn't like The Cure because their backcombed hair looked silly, i didn't like Haircut 100 because they wore cricket jumpers tucked into their pants, and i didn't like The Smiths because the singer was a nobber.... but all of those i love listening to now.

I wish i'd spent a lot more time listening to John Peel than watching TOTP... that way I'd have judged them on what i heard rather than what I saw.

Last edited:
Top Bottom