Music while I ride: Radio/MP3

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

djc45

Hi,
Has anyone seen any decent handlebar radios or mp3 players. I had a handlebar radio I used to use nearly 20 years ago, but haven`t seen anything recently.

I wouldn`t ride with headphones on, thats just too dangerous, and would really like to find a handlebar radio with built in speaker as that would allow me to listen to the news on way to work and use an ipod fm transmitter with my ipod to hear it on the way home.

Has anyone seen a half decent one.

Any ideas?

OP
OP
D

djc45

Nokia N95, I did wonder about that cause I can stream from my home pc to my N95, and can get all the SKY radio stations on it using my slingbox.
I often do that in the car.
Do you know of a decent phone holder for the N95 that would fit drop handlebars on a road bike?

longers

Legendary Member
Bonj had his phone strapped to his bike for a while didn't he? He could offer some advice.

yenrod

I use one of these:

13417433.jpg

ANY phone with a radio is ok most if all Sony/Erikkksons, all Nokias, pretty much all Samsungs will allow you fit a memory card: acuire a memory card GET at least a 2gb:

3251313s.jpg

http://www.play.com/Search.aspx?sea...icro+sd&page=search&pa=search&go.x=42&go.y=19

OR 1 of these..

If its a SonyErikkson:

3432191s.jpg

http://www.play.com/Search.aspx?sea...ing=memory+stick+dou+M2&page=search&pa=search

Then get yeah comp. and a card reader..

5451963x.jpg

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Ele...ard-Reader-With-Sim-Card-Back-up/Product.html

Transfer all your fave tunes onto IT..then align the playlist on the fone to play it.

Sort yourself for a ride: then apply h.fones into your ears: goodbye have a nice ride whilst listening to your MUSIC !

EASY

:tongue:

Rob S

djc45 said:
Hi,
Has anyone seen any decent handlebar radios or mp3 players. I had a handlebar radio I used to use nearly 20 years ago, but haven`t seen anything recently.

I wouldn`t ride with headphones on, thats just too dangerous, and would really like to find a handlebar radio with built in speaker as that would allow me to listen to the news on way to work and use an ipod fm transmitter with my ipod to hear it on the way home.

Has anyone seen a half decent one.

Any ideas?

I would seriously suggest you just use your normal radio with an earphone in one ear....trying to hear speech from a handlebar radio with wind noise and traffic is pretty much a waste of time.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Indeed, I listen to music/radio with one earphone, in the left ear, and never have any trouble hearing traffic etc....

bonj2

i did strap my phone to my stem and it was fine apart from the fact it was nowhere near loud enough. I only did it 'cos my headphones kept falling out, but I got some of those which have a support bit round the back of your ear and they're fine.

simoncc

zimzum42 said:
Indeed, I listen to music/radio with one earphone, in the left ear, and never have any trouble hearing traffic etc....

That works for me too.

The last time I had radio on the handlebars was when I had a paper round. I made a bracket to hold it out of Meccano.

Tynan

Veteran
never considered it, I think hearing is essential in traffic, that and concentration, on my heavy traffic commuting anyway, each to their own though

jashburnham

I use my iPhone! Still have no problem hearing traffic. Been cycling with an iPod of some description for as long as iPods have been about and not had one incident that could be attributed to my listening to music.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
..or maybe you've left a trail or carnage behind you and have never noticed the sound of the crashing cars!! :biggrin:;)

No tunez on for me, I'm with Tynan on this - need to concentrate in traffic

jassy-x

Sh4rkyBloke said:
..or maybe you've left a trail or carnage behind you and have never noticed the sound of the crashing cars!! :biggrin:;)

No tunez on for me, I'm with Tynan on this - need to concentrate in traffic
...I would agree that you guy's are probably right on this one....but I do tend to like to wear headphones as well and can usually hear the traffic OK, although on windier days I tend to turn it up a bit more which in effect blocks out the traffic noise as well as the wind....I know...not too clever...but in saying that the traffic isn't that heavy where I am, as I am out in the sticks and I doubt very much if I would ever wear them if city commuting....

Top Bottom