Must be winter...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tetedelacourse

Arch said:
A hackbike comes from the term 'hack', short for hackney, used for a horse that was used for everyday use - most specifically for a gentleman to ride to to a hunt while his groom left earlier and rode his good quality hunting horse there at a gentle pace. The hack was a sort of second best horse, to be used a little more roughly, often hired (hence Hackney carriage, a carriage pulled by a working horse as opposed to a smart carriage horse, and in today's terms, a hired vehicle). Today, hack also means to go for a ride in the country with no particular purpose other than the ride...

I believe it comes from a French term originally.

So a hack bike is your everyday bike, the one you don't mind getting a bit wet and dirty, as opposed to your fancy best bike.

Thanks for that, knowledgable one. I've wondered ever since I first saw a post from "Hackbike 6" way back. So what's the story if you use your fancy best bike for everyday use and you don't mind getting it a bit wet and dirty?

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Tetedelacourse said:
Thanks for that, knowledgable one. I've wondered ever since I first saw a post from "Hackbike 6" way back. So what's the story if you use your fancy best bike for everyday use and you don't mind getting it a bit wet and dirty?

Then you don't need a hack.

Fnaar, it's "haquenée" from Old French. ‘an ambling horse or mare, especially for ladies to ride on’. So you were close. Ish...

NickM

Veteran
Arch said:
...I'm so feeble that carrying any bike downstaris tends to lead to the bike trying to run away from me, and me getting a handlbar in the ribs or a pedal biting my shin...
You should try lugging a rowing machine up two flights to an attic bedroom...

By the time we'd got it in there and assembled, I was too knackered to do it justice :blush:

Top Bottom