Muvi cams

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
Oh - adn when you get the Micro-SD card, make sure you get a class 6 one (fast). Otherwise the video capture could be too quick for the card to handle.

OK thanks, may pop down to Maplin later then for the clone then. It will come with the necessasry clips, I guess I can go on their website and check

g00se

Veteran
Just being pedantic here - the ones in maplins aren't the clones - they're un-badged Muvis (all of them are made by Aee and can be badged as Muvi, AEE or anybody else) and are metal. The clone's are the plastic 'fakes' from China.

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I bought a clone a wee while ago from MemoryBits (where they're now reduced to £15), and it's fine for my commute. I have a PowerMonkey portable charger that I bring to top the battery up during the day so that it's fully-loaded for the trip home. Battery life is about an hour if you run it from full to dead, so not great unless you can stop & charge it like I do.

Not great in low light, but fine in daytime so it does all that I really need from it. The pic quality is really impressive - here's a short clip in an article on a local website who picked up on it and asked if they could use it. (Bear in mind the original file is even better and that this version has been compressed by YouTube)

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
I bought a clone a wee while ago from MemoryBits (where they're now reduced to £15), and it's fine for my commute. I have a PowerMonkey portable charger that I bring to top the battery up during the day so that it's fully-loaded for the trip home. Battery life is about an hour if you run it from full to dead, so not great unless you can stop & charge it like I do.

Not great in low light, but fine in daytime so it does all that I really need from it. The pic quality is really impressive - here's a short clip in an article on a local website who picked up on it and asked if they could use it. (Bear in mind the original file is even better and that this version has been compressed by YouTube)

that's not bad at all, really impressive. But night / dusk is just rubbish? £15 is a bargain, nothing at all. IF you drop it or is breaks, or battery goes, then its not like spending £60 odd on something simular. Did you have a night/dusk clip? Thanks

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
I've got some footage from a cheap clone:

My link

There's some night footage towards the end of Norwich London Commute April

Thanks for that. I see the early part, where the sky is in a lot of the shot, the lower traffic / road is pretty dark. Just looked at "MemoryBits" and all those are sold out. Just watched the night stuff, not too great apart from where it is in a well lit area. Which one do you have again? model make price? Thanks so much

g00se

Veteran
Hi,

I've got the cheap plastic Chinese clone (£15). The bit where the sky is bright and buildings dark is a bit of a rarity - down to leaning back, position and facing east in the morning. Most of the time, the auto-exposure and contrast is great.

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
Hi,

I've got the cheap plastic Chinese clone (£15). The bit where the sky is bright and buildings dark is a bit of a rarity - down to leaning back, position and facing east in the morning. Most of the time, the auto-exposure and contrast is great.

ok ordered one from the UK, wonder what its like. £11.98 and free P&P

My 2p.

There are 3 around, original, "expensive" clone and "cheap clone".

Original, around £70+ these days, 25fps, metal body with slider switches.

Expensive clone, around £30-40 (Maplin sell this one... at around 60 I think...), 20 or 25fps (hit and miss), metal body with sliders switches.

Cheap clone, around £10 from china all in, "30fps" but a lot of people have reported this to be 15fps with duplicate frames to fake the 30fps, plastic body with push button switches and are known to freeze randomly (hence a reset button which isn't present on the others).

Batteries are not "user" replaceable, but are hackable, has a 350mA 3.7 single cell LIPO.
None of the units can record whilst charging.
All of the units cut every 30 minutes - this is not because they are cheap, it's common on most units to cut them up (because they're recording with headers, so if you lost power you lose the section).
If you lose power, it doesn't write the header of the video file, so you lose that section.
The time in between segments is mostly below 1 second - sounds bad but is much better than the more expensive "MiniDVR2" (or angeleye) which has a 4 second gap, and I think the ContourHD has something like a 2 second break too.

Oh - adn when you get the Micro-SD card, make sure you get a class 6 one (fast). Otherwise the video capture could be too quick for the card to handle.

You don't need a very fast one, just a "not crap" one. Which is usually the problem if its one supplied "unbranded".

Class 6 is overkill, 4 will suffice - even then I have used some Class 2 perfectly fine (as long as they are REALLY Class 2).

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
Thanks very much for the info. Will post results of the one I've ordered. Fingers crossed. Cheers for your 2p. Very helpful

g00se

Veteran
All of the units cut every 30 minutes - this is not because they are cheap, it's common on most units to cut them up (because they're recording with headers, so if you lost power you lose the section).

The plastic clone I have and another I borrowed don't have the 30 minute cut off.

C

chillyuk

The plastic clone I have and another I borrowed don't have the 30 minute cut off.

I once commented on it on here somewhere that my clone recorded a whole sequence of approx 5 minute segments over about a 45 minute ride. It has never done it since, neither does it record in half hour segments. It records to either 3.99Gb or until the battery runs out whichever comes first!

Top Bottom