My 2014 commute to work.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paul04

Über Member
Well the last day in work today, not back in till the 5th of January :smile:

100% commute to work this year, not missed a day.
260 work days, take away 33 days for holidays, so that's 227 work days

Its only a 10 mile round trip to work, which is just over 2200 miles
saved over £300 just in petrol. (if I had a car)

Only 2 punctures all year. the rear wheel on the MTB needs replacing, as the bearing have worn out.

Apart from the idiot drivers on the road, only really had 3 scary moments
1, The car driver who pull right out in front of me on a roundabout,
2, A cross wind which nearly had me off the bike.
3, Riding the bike on icy roads, more or less had to tip-toe to the main road.

Enjoyed every minutes of it (well almost)
And here is to 2015 and to do it all again :smile:

mustang1

Guru
Wow great news. My commute wasn't as vibrant s yours unfortunately.

But I don't see how you can save £300 petrol if you don't have a car, unless you mean you used to use your car but now use the bike?

So anyway will you celebrate with a new bike?

OP
OP
paul04

paul04

Über Member
Wow great news. My commute wasn't as vibrant s yours unfortunately.

But I don't see how you can save £300 petrol if you don't have a car, unless you mean you used to use your car but now use the bike?

So anyway will you celebrate with a new bike?

I sold the car in February as I never used it. I put £300 just to show how much money you can save by using the bike. if I would have used a car, it would have cost me £300 in petrol, at about £1.30 a day

mustang1

Guru
Nice!

I saw an article today that younger people are not getting interested in cars like the older generations did. They prefer walking or public transport to get to work, shopping, entertainment etc.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Well done.

I'm currently on 509 - 5 possibles left but being poorly's not helping this week. I started on 344 so 163 done out of a possible of about 170. Not bad given I've stuff to take from work to home and vice versa.

Total estimated miles: 14 each way * 2 * 163 = 4500+. I don't take the 'short' route most days but extend it from 10 miles to 11-30 each way so that's a guess.

I save a minimum of £10 on petrol and parking (it's cost me £20+ each day this week) so I've estimated a £1630 saving.

Expenses: ,

- 2 bikes bought (total £200) and then later sold (total £425 :thumbsup:)
- 1 frame bought from here (£50)
- new wheelset for the above frame (Shimano R501 at £62)
- 1 new pair of Shimano 5800 pedals (see incident no. 4 below) - at £52
- 8 tyres (Schwalbe Lugano at £18 a pair)
- 4 new tubes
- 3 chains
- 3 brake calipers (new frame and I broke one :rolleyes: )
- 6 brake cables, 3 gear cables
- 3 pairs of brake shoes

I think that's not bad for a year's expenses :tongue:

Incidents:

1. 1 fall on ice a fortnight ago. I'd gone 364 days without a crash :huh:
  2. A couple of idiot bus drivers, both reported
  3. The flasher's back in Belle Isle. She's not 'belle' but she is the size of an 'isle' xx(
  4. I hit a bus :B) . Please don't ask any more details as I was attempting an overtake and missed :blush:
  5. I also hit a pedestrian; walking straight out without looking. It was a choice of 2; the fat older one pulling a suitcase or her fat younger daughter, also pulling a suitcase. I went for the daughter - she seemed a softer landing. :whistle:
  6. About 1 near-miss a week. That's not bad for rush-hour commuting on 70mph dual-carriageways and busy inner city roads.

Overall a very good year for commuting.

Last edited:

andyfraser

Über Member
Nice!

I saw an article today that younger people are not getting interested in cars like the older generations did. They prefer walking or public transport to get to work, shopping, entertainment etc.
I've noticed that in real life. I used to work with a lot of people under 25 (at least 20 - 30 over the years) and very few of them had a driving licence or an interest in cars or driving. Some even thought about getting a bike but they preferred to walk or catch the bus.

andyfraser

Über Member
I've cycled to work every working day this year too. I don't have a car, it's too far to walk and takes too long on public transport so it wasn't difficult. :smile:

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Awesome work :biggrin:

I've done neaaaarly every day since the start of July on a 22 mile round trip. Missed 3 or 4 days when I started, as I was having Weds off when I started and missed 2 other days due to persistent punctures / inability to fix punctures (now up to speed) / lack of replacement tubes (now not an issue, due to the gained ability to fix punctures).

Had a few scrapes - a lorry honking the hell out of me for no reason on my first day, on a dual carriageway, some wayyyy too close passes, some minor verbal abuse and now I have a stalker car passenger I pass most days, who keeps taking the pee and giving it all that.

Also had plenty of fantastic moments - some very kind drivers, including lorries and buses, occasional cyclists pulling up for a chat at lights, the waving brigade, some spectacular rides through the worst rain ever (not proven), a motorcyclist who rode alongside me chatting one day (bit dangerous, but a very nice fella) and, of course, the CC community, who've unwittingly passed on many hints & tips.

Been one of the best times of my life, this, which is a massive deal considering I only started so I could save on car (sold) & travelling costs (train way too expensive).

Kudos to all.

mustang1

Guru
@ DC lane:
Wow thats real good going saving the money! On those 70 mph dual carriageways I assume you're on a separate bike path? I wimp out even on 40mph roads!
Be safe out there bud!

mustang1

Guru
Compared to you lot I'm a lazy git!

I used to ride 4000 miles commute but this year probably only 1000. And even less in 2012/2013.

2015 I'll get back into the swing of things.

Costs so far this year is £1600 on servicing and clothes and experimental purchases. I am an ass but still saved £500 on an annual oyster card.

Top Bottom