My advice to newbies.

I thought wiggins only offers drop handle road bikes
I have both the drop bar road bike and the flat bar / hybrid.

Love both, but for long distance comfort the hybrid gets my vote.

It's heavier than the road bike - but not by that much in the scheme of things - but the much lower gearing more than makes up for it. I tend to trundle along at around 10 mph, but then again, I'm not the world's strongest cyclist.

DCBassman

No, not the fish...
I am less than 5 feet :sad:
Thus it is even more important to get the right bike. Also, the cheaper bike isn't faster, or slower, just...cheaper. The lower gearing on the more expensive bike doesn't mean slower, it means more breadth of choice. I'm personally firmly in the camp of 'plenty of low gearing, please'! For example, I have a full-on older road bike. But now it has flat bars and gearing like a mountain bike. The bike was a freebie, so conversion cost wasn't an issue, but I wanted a light bike with wide gears, so built one, as buying one was a non-starter. The Intermediate is much like that for you, right kit in, hopefully, the right size.

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
I wish you well in your quest to find the right bike.

Final comment if its not significantly different from your current bike, there is no point in swapping, it will not give you the speed you require.

Mart44

I've got a couple of spare mountain bikes for family to ride when they are staying with us. A Claud Butler and a Trek. Both bikes are fairly old but in good condition. Some don't ride very often and I find the main comments after a day out are not so much aching muscles or about the bikes. It's to do with saddle-soreness. The bikes have got what I'd call comfortable saddles but I suppose there's no such thing as a really comfortable saddle for a beginner.

All I can offer are comforting words saying that if riding is persisted with, this problem seems to magically just stop. I don't know what happens in that area to make it stop ..but it does,

Top Bottom