My balls are playing up.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
My corolla which is 18years into its world record attempt to become the oldest car on the road has an issue.

Last two Mot's advised slight play in anti roll / ball joint. I now have a knocking sound on rough roads and would like the collectives views.

Costs of repair,
Costs of not repairing,
Brexit.

Over to you. 🧐

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
DIY, or paying a garage £70 an hour? 2 - 3 hours for a decent indi garage I guess. I like to do my own nowadays, but then I can afford to have the car off the road as I have a second/third to use if needs be

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
If you are up for doing it yourself, there are probably videos on Youtube to show how.

Why not phone a dealer, and, an independent local garage, and ask for a price?

Then, you can make an informed decision?

D

Deleted member 26715

The anti-roll bar doesn't have any balljoints, the bottom arm has balljoints, or the anti-roll bar has droplinks & bushes. All of them are pretty easy jobs to do, far easier with a lift, if you wanted all 6 done then 3 hours work, anywhere between £30 & £50 an hour & probably £20-30 each for the parts so £120-180. Total finger in the air price £150-250

As to whether it's worth it only you can decide, does the car still do everything you want it to do, are there any other issues with it, do you have funds to replace it, there does get to a point where the cost of repairs exceed the cost of ownership, but if it's the only £250 to keep the car on the road another 12 months then it's very cheap, you'll lose more money than that if you buy a car from a dealer as soon as it hits the road.

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
DIY, or paying a garage £70 an hour? 2 - 3 hours for a decent indi garage I guess. I like to do my own nowadays, but then I can afford to have the car off the road as I have a second/third to use if needs be

I'm pay for the work to be done.

If you are up for doing it yourself, there are probably videos on Youtube to show how.

Why not phone a dealer, and, an independent local garage, and ask for a price?

Then, you can make an informed decision?

Have a good garage but always like to have an idea myself.

The anti-roll bar doesn't have any balljoints, the bottom arm has balljoints, or the anti-roll bar has droplinks & bushes. All of them are pretty easy jobs to do, far easier with a lift, if you wanted all 6 done then 3 hours work, anywhere between £30 & £50 an hour & probably £20-30 each for the parts so £120-180. Total finger in the air price £150-250

As to whether it's worth it only you can decide, does the car still do everything you want it to do, are there any other issues with it, do you have funds to replace it, there does get to a point where the cost of repairs exceed the cost of ownership, but if it's the only £250 to keep the car on the road another 12 months then it's very cheap, you'll lose more money than that if you buy a car from a dealer as soon as it hits the road.

The car owes me nothing and I think it's worth keeping it going. I'd like to think it's got another 5 years in it.

D

Deleted member 26715

The car owes me nothing and I think it's worth keeping it going. I'd like to think it's got another 5 years in it.
It's a Toyota of course it has, ask locally for recommendations, it's bread & butter stuff to a garage, if you were local I'd advise where to go

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As @Phaeton says plenty of vids on YouTube. This one shows even Putin does his own so can't be too difficult:

View: https://youtu.be/SaMCy7DSwhk

We've got a 2007 Toyota Matrix which is essentially a Corolla Estate. Best car I've ever had and drives like almost new with no rattles or creaks. It was made in Canada where the same production line turned out the Pontiac Vibe, different lights and grill. Very popular down here.

Keep it going as long as you can.

Drago

Legendary Member
Repair a fault the moment you become aware. It might be serviceable for another 2 or 3 years, but by then another half dozen faults may have cropped up elsewhere, and suddenly the old car is uneconomical to repair.

I'd domit myself.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Get it done.

ETA
...but do make sure to use decent parts. Toyota Forum is your friend. I buyt my own parts and get my friendly mechanic to fit. That way I ensure no balls of cheese are fitted, iyswim.

Last edited:
Top Bottom