My bike shop's really messing me about. What should I do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
In these times of hard-to-find bikes, I bit the bullet and ordered a Campag Chorus set for an old Pinarello bike and, unable to do the necessary work myself, I took it in to my LBS who promised they'd have it done 'in a few days'. Well now it's over a month and with the sun cracking the flags, I'd like to be out on it. But I'm not and they keep coming out with excuses. "We haven't received the Campag extractor tool but it's on order and we expect it any day now." The tool's been dispatched and we're expecting it any day now" being the standard excuse they're making. They've basically got the whole Chorus groupo but don't have the extractor tool to remove the chainring from the frame.

I haven't named them yet but the last time I took a bike in for some work, nothing happened for a few weeks so eventually I went in and took it back and did the work myself. And it's this that's preventing me from going in and collecting the present one because my handiwork on the one I collected REALLY let me down earlier today! I was high above the Ribble Valley on the roads out to Slaidburn and without warning, the chain jumped the largest gear jamming the wheel and then forcing it out of the dropouts pulling the cabling with it and bent the jockey wheels! It had been running sweetly with no noises, creaks or tapping today but then this happened. Fortunately, I had a sympathetic friend on hand to come and collect me or I'd have been stuck there yet.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
What if they're telling the truth?

The only thing you can do is call around and ask anybody else if they have the tool required to get the job done. If you're not happy with the service, retrieve your bicycle.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Some tools are quite niche or expensive and not all bike shops will have them in their workshop. With the global parts shortage, I wouldn't be surprised that they are waiting on a delivery and unsure of the date.

I've experienced similar, whereby I was looking for a shop with a BB reaming tool, (over €800 to buy, so quite niche and expensive) and only one bike shop in town actually had one in their workshop.

Maybe ask around and see if you can find a shop that uses one, just to finish of the job?

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I would look for the tool myself, buy it if it's available and within price range. Then politely say to the shop that you can't wait and you want your bike and parts back. Then you'll have the tool for another time.

Can you link to the precise tool you need?

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
I would look for the tool myself, buy it if it's available and within price range. Then politely say to the shop that you can't wait and you want your bike and parts back. Then you'll have the tool for another time.

Can you link to the precise tool you need?

Thanks for that advice. The tool they don't have is a Campag crank puller to extract the current Campy Chorus chain ring residing in the frame. All hinges on this, apparently but I do know the previous owner of the shop did buy one in order to upgrade the same bike currently in there from a Veloce to a Chorus about five years ago. I know it's a new owner but assumed he'd bought the shop lock, stock and barrel so the thing should be there.

iluvmybike

Über Member
If it is the Campag power torque extractor tool I have one which I no longer need as I have retired from bike business now - only used once. I'd be happy to sell it to the bike shop if it would help. They are very difficult to get hold of so not surpirsed they are havinbg a problem - had to get mine from abroad - I think yuo are being a bit harsh given the state of play with bike parts. tools etc right now - it is a world-wide issue

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
If it is the Campag power torque extractor tool I have one which I no longer need as I have retired from bike business now - only used once. I'd be happy to sell it to the bike shop if it would help. They are very difficult to get hold of so not surpirsed they are havinbg a problem - had to get mine from abroad - I think yuo are being a bit harsh given the state of play with bike parts. tools etc right now - it is a world-wide issue
Yes, you're correct on me being harsh. Written more in deflecting annoyance after my problems today. Can I get the bike shop to make contact with you about it? If so, please PM me with your details and I'll pass them on right away.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Yes, you're correct on me being harsh. Written more in deflecting annoyance after my problems today. Can I get the bike shop to make contact with you about it? If so, please PM me with your details and I'll pass them on right away.
Sure no problem - I have pm'd you

Last edited:
Top Bottom