My Boardman adv 8.8

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes interested in peoples opinions, also how do I go about trying both first….
Go to an LBS / Giant dealer that offers test rides or at least the chance to try on a turbo (Giant Twickenham used to offer this I think, there are a number of Giant branded stores around the country plus LBS that sell Giant). This all assumes you are looking to buy new

Yes interested in peoples opinions, also how do I go about trying both first….
Dont know. Be just be aware. An older guy in our cycling club was told the TCR was similar to the defy. He had quite a battle getting comfy on it.

The defy is no slouch either. Will be my next bike once the stock situation improves.

DRM

Guru
Dont know. Be just be aware. An older guy in our cycling club was told the TCR was similar to the defy. He had quite a battle getting comfy on it.

The defy is no slouch either. Will be my next bike once the stock situation improves.
+1 for that, the Defy Composite 3 is a flying machine, feels nice and light, and accelerates like a scalded cat compared to my aluminium bikes, as for no hands it’s a lot easier on both my gravel bike and mtb, than the road bikes due to the relaxed geometry

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

+1 for that, the Defy Composite 3 is a flying machine, feels nice and light, and accelerates like a scalded cat compared to my aluminium bikes, as for no hands it’s a lot easier on both my gravel bike and mtb, than the road bikes due to the relaxed geometry
Really not sure what to do.

I’d really like a nice summer bike, I have a budget of £1500 for this.

I would be buying used, I did plan on a TCR Advanced preferably the disc version with Ultegra groupset. However I’m now not sure if it would be a bit uncomfortable for me, I’m not in a club nor do I do races etc. So maybe a Defy would give me a little more comfort and still be quick and light too.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
A friend of mine has two Defys, an aluminium one (with a triple chainset, interestingly ... I think it's quite old) and a carbon fibre one for best. He really rates them.

So, what can you learn from this useful post? At least one person on the internet claims to know someone who owns Defys and claims to like them ... So not much.:laugh:

si_c

Guru
The Defy usually gets high praise as do Giant bikes in general. My suggestion as with all bike choices is to try and ride one before you buy it, just in case you hate it, annoying and expensive to return bikes mail order.

I'd personally opt for the Defy over the TCR as it will be a more comfortable riding position.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
In the meantime, keep making a mental list of things you don't like/would like to improve about your current bike. This will be key to making your next bike so nice that you never want to ride your old one again.

And you ride it though winter. And you think "I'll treat myself to a summer bike" ;)

Erasmus

As Simon say, you've got to try. I'm 66, with a slight belly and dodgy back, but I get on fine with my TCR Advanced with the stem about 4" lower than the saddle. For a bike which is more 'racey' than the Defy, I've heard of a lot of non racing cyclists who find it comfy. Good luck whatever you go for, John.

The only thing I’ve noticed to be a little annoying is the shifter for the front mech, it’s quite awkward and stiff shifting up to the top ring? No problems at all shifting back down or with the rear mech shifter up and down. It has Sora groupset.
Was this a 2nd hand bike? I got my bike 2nd hand and I don't think the front changer had been used much due to the large range of ratios on the back.

It was very difficult to move! Some oil and a few changes seemed to make it much more acceptable!!

CXRAndy

Guru
Really not sure what to do.

I’d really like a nice summer bike, I have a budget of £1500 for this.

I would be buying used, I did plan on a TCR Advanced preferably the disc version with Ultegra groupset. However I’m now not sure if it would be a bit uncomfortable for me, I’m not in a club nor do I do races etc. So maybe a Defy would give me a little more comfort and still be quick and light too.

Don't listen to the comments about one bike being really fast compared to another, the difference is infinitesimally small between a race geometry and tour bike for the vast majority of normal people-excluding professional riders.

The only thing that really matters first, is comfort. features and reliability are secondary to comfort.

If a bike makes your neck, back, or wrists hurt, because its too aggressive in position is a pointless bike to you.

Oh its always the engine on top of any bike which makes it fast or slow.

Just watch GCN on Youtube where they compare cheap bikes versus super expensive bikes, its a handful of seconds with literally thousands difference in price.

Hope that helps :okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
He bought a carbon Defy a couple of months ago and has been tearing up the roads and waxing its chain since :okay:
(Hence the thread had been dormant since February!)

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

He bought a carbon Defy a couple of months ago and has been tearing up the roads and waxing its chain since :okay:
(Hence the thread had been dormant since February!)

Yes!
2200 miles on it since I got it 4 months ago.
Love it!

Attachments

• 1847C6D6-A4D7-4EAB-956A-8702128920C7.jpeg
    1847C6D6-A4D7-4EAB-956A-8702128920C7.jpeg
    324.4 KB · Views: 11

plastic_cyclist

I started off life with a Boardman CX Comp and bought a TCR Advanced, its soooooo much better, 105 shifting seemed to be a dream compared to the Sora on the Boardman.....

There's a new TCR (Total Compact Road) SL frameset (much lighter) for 2022 which if paired with Shimano Dura Ace Di2 Groupset would be a sublime piece of machinery.....(oh my days)......I always say if you're going to go, just go big......! I know it's expensive, but only if you can afford it that is.....

TCR can be enjoyed in many forms.......take time to read this before diving in, its all about what types of riding you will be doing and want to do.....i.e. long, hilly, rides, ignore the above advice, I would say that's more for time trial, speed work.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/group-tests/giant-tcr-353142

Top Bottom