My bottom bracket is making a hell of a racket...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
So last weekend I was out on a ride and getting a bit of clicking and clacking from the BB area which developed into grinding and graunching and that horrible metal on metal sound particularly when applying a bit of pressure to the pedals.
Having pretty much eliminated the pedals or loose chainring bolts or crankarms I thought I'd better inspect the BB so stripped in down yesterday morning.
Can anyone spot anything wrong with it? 😉
20220206_090209.jpg

D

Deleted member 1258

Thats well knackered.

OP
OP
T4tomo

T4tomo

Legendary Member
That's one of the newer Shimano square tapers - I've the UN300 now in my MTB and it's the same construction. The older ones, UN55 etc, have the non-drive side bearing in the casing.

One to watch this !
No it isn't, it was a RPM 7420 (which i think are made by FSA).

a UN300 will be going in to replace it.

si_c

Guru
Oof:eek:. That's unlucky.

I think you were helped getting home by it being a sealed bearing unit, I've had a cheaper BB with caged bearings disintegrate on me mid-ride, resulting in the cage shredding itself and the bearings going loose inside the unit. Fortunately I was near a station I could walk to.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No it isn't, it was a RPM 7420 (which i think are made by FSA).

a UN300 will be going in to replace it.

Oh, I hope the new Shimano ones are better then (I've a UN300) - they have a similar construction, although the non-drive side cup is fairly deep.

OP
OP
T4tomo

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Oof:eek:. That's unlucky.

I think you were helped getting home by it being a sealed bearing unit, I've had a cheaper BB with caged bearings disintegrate on me mid-ride, resulting in the cage shredding itself and the bearings going loose inside the unit. Fortunately I was near a station I could walk to.
The OH was away for the day too, so it would have been a long push home or an expensive taxi !

OP
OP
T4tomo

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Its hard to tell as I was off the bike for a couple of months with an ankle injury, so taking it easy when I resumed in November, and my elevation per mile can vary a bit, but my average speed has been down on expectations of late, which i'd put down to age and fitness and general winter mehness, but a draggy BB may have been a factor. I will to see how it goes once the new BB arrives and I've put the crankset back together.

CharleyFarley

I bought a new Specialized Fatboy in 2016. A thousand miles on it, and while on a lengthy ride the BB started squealing; it sounded like someone talking, and it was embarrassing as I rode by people at bus stops. I removed the dust seal and pressed some grease into it. Now with 10,880 miles on it, it's still as slick as snot on a frosty board. I just wish it wasn't a press fit BB as I like to do my own repairs. If and when it goes bad, I'll take it to a bike shop for the work to be done.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The UN300 doesn't have a good reputation so far. Shimano are trying to relegate square taper to the bottom end of the market because all you ungrateful people should be using HT2

:laugh:

The UN300 doesn't have a good reputation so far. Shimano are trying to relegate square taper to the bottom end of the market because all you ungrateful people should be using HT2

:laugh:
Can you say more on the reputation/reports?
Do shimano have any theories/pitch on how the UN300 may be better/an improvement?
What do the reports say?
Must say I saw little reason to abolish the UN55 - thought most of my bikes would be running it to the end.
I did pick up one for about £4.50 and another for about £7.50 as spares from the bay as soon as I realised - prices now gone up of course.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom