My bum hurts - please help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After 83 miles in the saddle today my backside is very sore. It was the same a couple of weeks ago when I did my first century ride. I only have cheap Muddy Fox shorts and leggings and they are fine for commuting. Until now they have been just about bearable on longer rides too, but now it seems it's reached the point where my long rides are being spoiled come the halfway point my posterior pain. Like most people, I am not flush at the moment and would prefer to spend as little as possible. That said, I do at least one long ride (60miles+) a week so whatever I buy (actually, it will probably go on the xmas list so it might not be me incurring the cost!) will be an investment I guess. I would rather spend big(ish) once and get it right than buy a series of substandard/easily perishable arse-garments. I figure I need at least one pair of shorts/bibshorts and one pair of warmer leggings here.

So, a series of questions which myself and my bottom would be most grateful for your thoughts on -

- Do I need to go for top end Assos/Castelli?
- Are there cheaper options that are nearly/just as good?
- I may be getting this arse about face - should I be looking at getting a better saddle first? (currently riding stock Genesis saddle on an Equilibrium)
- Can poor seat padding/posterior discomfort increase numbness in hands on a ride? (I was getting very numb hands on the way back today, much more so than normal. Does a pinched/numb bum have an effect on circulation higher up the body? Could have been me unconsciously leaning more weight on my arms to try to relieve the saddle pain I guess...)
- Does chamois cream help with this in any way? I would have thought that's only any good for chafing really?
(I have no probs with chafing, only pressure/bones pain)
- When buying shorts/bibs/leggings is it advisable (or indeed possible) to try them out in the saddle first? I don't see how this is possible from a hygiene point of view, but to splurge the best part of a ton on something that might not fit properly seems bonkers too.

Many thanks, Andy

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
I found a combination of things help. Primary finding the right saddle.

I have a few pairs of shorts, never been able to afford the topper most but have got a lot of wear out of my mavic shorts and my pearl iszumi shorts. Avoid endura - they gave me thrush all the time!

Chamois cream helps more with chafing, as opposed to soreness, TBH. Although a nice hot (salt) bath does help.

But your undercarriage is always going to be a bit sore after 83 miles in the saddle and there's no real avoiding that, unless you develop some sort of genital callous, which I think would be even less enjoyable in the longer term.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Decathlon's B'Twin range is an excellent selection of shorts / tights that won't break the bank and are a world better than the really budget stuff (I started off with Muddy Fox shorts too).

I've got several pairs of the 500/520 series bib shorts and a pair of the 700-series bib tights that (in my opinion) are excellent.

Numb hands could just be your riding position / grip - do you vary it as you ride? Or wear gloves with gel padding in the palms?

Last edited:

alicat

Legendary Member
Do the shorts feel like they are rubbing in a particular place eg the stitching is chafing? If not, I would look to change the saddle. That can get very spendy while you find the right one so see if you can find a saddle 'library' you can borrow one from.

I have a number of pairs of shorts, none of which are top end and a number of saddles on different bikes. I keep the same model of saddle that suits me on as many of my bikes as possible.

Standing up in the saddle whenever the opportunity presents itself eg going uphill is also a key preventative measure on any ride.

Re the numb hands, I find that if one part of me starts hurting (and 83 miles is a good distance for anyone) I tense up and everywhere else starts hurting too. Changing position, having a cafe stop etc are the best things to stay relaxed and painfree on the bike.

Mike!

Guru
I don't agree that you will always be sore after a long ride. I'm certainly not!

Invest in some shorts first. Endura FS260 bibs at around £65 are excellent for me but I'm sure others will have suggestions.

You may then find your saddle is fine.

It took me 3 saddles to get comfort. My lbs lent me one which ended up being great for me. The Selle italia flite but saddles are very personal things which are trial and error.

The above combination for me sees rides between 40 and 100 miles pain free.

Joffey

Big Dosser
I found the Castelli Kiss pads were a godsend compared to the DHB ones I had been using. You can get a decent pair of Castelli shorts for around £45 in the sales (of which there are always many) - give them a go.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
I bought one of these after finding the saddle that came with my new bike gave me a lot of pain, much better now.
DSCF2494.JPG

for comparison, this is the original saddle, like sitting on a razor blade.
DSCF2491.JPG

outlash

also available in orange
- Do I need to go for top end Assos/Castelli?

Not necessarily.

Are there cheaper options that are nearly/just as good?

Yes. While you don't need to spend into 3 figures, you get what you pay for.

I may be getting this arse about face - should I be looking at getting a better saddle first? (currently riding stock Genesis saddle on an Equilibrium)

If it fits and it's comfy normally, why change?

Can poor seat padding/posterior discomfort increase numbness in hands on a ride? (I was getting very numb hands on the way back today, much more so than normal. Does a pinched/numb bum have an effect on circulation higher up the body? Could have been me unconsciously leaning more weight on my arms to try to relieve the saddle pain I guess...)

Might need a little tweak on the bike fit front?

Does chamois cream help with this in any way? I would have thought that's only any good for chafing really?
(I have no probs with chafing, only pressure/bones pain)

No, yes.

When buying shorts/bibs/leggings is it advisable (or indeed possible) to try them out in the saddle first? I don't see how this is possible from a hygiene point of view, but to splurge the best part of a ton on something that might not fit properly seems bonkers too.

Ew!

Sounds like to me generally as the ride has gone on, you've got more tired and that's contributed to your discomfort. If you've been happy rattling out 60 mile rides before, I think your saddle is ok, a bit more comfort next to your skin might be in order. Generally, I'd look north of £50 at RRP for a decent pair of shorts, certainly the top end DHB shorts would be a good choice.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I bought one of these after finding the saddle that came with my new bike gave me a lot of pain, much better now.
View attachment 108675

for comparison, this is the original saddle, like sitting on a razor blade.
View attachment 108676
I actually get on with the boardman saddles, suits me, still got it ?
I think as said above its a combination of all of the above, changing bike set up my even 5 mm can make big changes to comfort , atm i am wearing dhb shorts from wiggle and find even the active shorts are comfy on long rides but they only come in blue or black, the aeron shorts are the next step up and i have just ordered a pair.
The Btwin shorts are good as well, i did have issues with them at one point but i think it was more down to my poor bike fit at the time .

steve50

Disenchanted Member
I actually get on with the boardman saddles, suits me, still got it ?
I think as said above its a combination of all of the above, changing bike set up my even 5 mm can make big changes to comfort , atm i am wearing dhb shorts from wiggle and find even the active shorts are comfy on long rides but they only come in blue or black, the aeron shorts are the next step up and i have just ordered a pair.
The Btwin shorts are good as well, i did have issues with them at one point but i think it was more down to my poor bike fit at the time .

Yes, still got it, bagged up and stored safely, it will go back on the bike should I ever decide to sell it. I usually use charge Spoon saddles but decided to have a change.

Top Bottom