My Custom Build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
Me like, but why didn't you align the tyre logos with the valves? You'll be telling us next the hub name isn't in line with the rim sticker!

crumpetman

Jezston, I very much like the look of your bike and am considering a similar 3 speed hub conversion on a single speed bike I have. Would you mind a couple of questions?

Did you source the parts yourself and get the LBS to do the labour or was it a joint effort? Can you give an approximate cost for things like the hub gear, shifter and wheel?

I imagine that some people who are good with bikes could buy the stuff on ebay for not much money and put it all together themselves. I however am useless and would require the bike shop to do all of it but if it is going to cost a lot it might be better to buy a complete bike.

Question:

Would it be inappropriate to give my bike a name?

And a French name at that?

And a French name that is 'Cunégonde'?

And if not, anyone know a good way of stencilling a word on my frame?

Hello Jez

great looking bike you have there, well done.

as for stencilling, you could try using reverse cut self adhesive vinyl to start with, to see if you like the graphics. you can then use the sheet without the letters for stencilling if you decide to go ahead.

best of luck which ever way you go with it.

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Hi, sorry I hadn't replied to this thread in a while so it had dropped off the bottom of my activity list. I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.

Did you source the parts yourself and get the LBS to do the labour or was it a joint effort? Can you give an approximate cost for things like the hub gear, shifter and wheel?

Apart from the frame which I sourced from Ebay, everything was ordered by the LBS, and where there was a choice I decided - example the rims and crankset were my choice, the rest selected by the shop. The shop owner did it cheap for me because he wanted to build a bike of this spec, and I was also helping him out with some other stuff so I wasn't paying as much as he could have charged.

One other idea I did come across when considering this build, was another LBS who offered to sell me a single speed bike and the hub, and would rebuild the rear wheel around a hub gear, and not charge me for the rebuild. To be honest I'm not sure this would have actually worked!

I would expect the cost in parts for the complete rear wheel and shifter would be £150 tops. I think the rims were £25, hub about £70. Maybe less, actually.

Top Bottom